Forum Discussion

loctitekid
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

TestComplete 8 License Manager Question

I am currently evaluating TestComplete 8. In my development environment it works fine.

I have an issue with the license manager in my software testing labs. For security reasons, they are isolated from the internet. Without an internet connection the license manager will not activate my license. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and regards,

Neil.

4 Replies

• Hi Neil,

Log in to ClientServices on another machine that has access to the Internet. Then open this page. It contains a manual activation wizard whose steps require activating a license on a machine that does not have Internet connection. Currently, the customer account home page does not have a link to this page. We'll add it after TC 8 is released.

For additional information about the manual activation procedure, see the "Manual Activation Procedure" help topic of TC 8 Licensing Guide (located in <TestComplete 8>\Help\).
    loctitekid
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Jared,

Thanks for the response.

I tried to use the manual activation procedure, but failed at step 4 "Activate License on the License Manager PC".

The "link for downloading the file generated on the previous step" shows a file with a v2c extension, but when I click the link an xml file opens in Internet Explorer. If I right mouse and save target as..., an xml file (911291686014.xml) is saved.

I tried to run the procedure again, but at step 4 I got a dummy page instead of the page I saw before.

I attach the file I uploaded (generated by the manual activation wizard), and the file I saved from the link.
    loctitekid
    Occasional Contributor
    I have just used the xml file as input to the license update wizard, and it now says "Update written successfully".

So now I think I understand the license activation process. The problem is that I have activated the floating user license on the wrong machine. Now my development PC is the license manager PC. That is not what I want. I need to find an obsolete machine that I can add into my test lab network as the License Manager PC, dedicated to managing AQA licenses. I need to make my development machine not a license manager PC, and transfer the role to the dedicated machine. Is there a mechanism for doing this?

What is the recommended process to follow if the License Manager PC fails? If the hard drive on the License Manager PC is replaced?

Please recommend a licensing regime for this scenario:

An office has a dedicated software testing lab, with four slave machines and a TestComplete server.

A tester creates test cases on her laptop, and runs them one at a time to verify them.

As test cases are verified, the tester adds them to the regression test suite, and transfers them to a software testing lab.

The software testing lab runs regressions tests overnight.

Tests that produce unexpected results are repeated on the tester's laptop for investigation.
  • Hi Neil,

All the needed information can be found in the "Renewing Licenses" help topic and related topics of TC 8 Licensing Guide (located in <TestComplete 8>\Help\).

As for the number and type of licenses you need to purchase, I suggest that you contact our Sales Department at sales@automatedqa.com. They are responsible for license questions.