Forum Discussion

DCat1223
Frequent Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Test Complete only reading first record of Excel data file.

Hi. I'm new to Test Complete and this forum.

I am testing a web based application that allows employees to sign up for Health Care and Dental. I am using Key Word tests, as I am not very experienced in coding. The employees login to the application using their unique Employee ID. The application recognizes the employee and knows if they are eligible or not and if they are Part Time or Full Time among other things. Based on the employee, it displays a workflow of questions across several pages that the employees answer to determine what they want as far as their health care for next year.

I am using an excel data file with over 1000 records – each record an employee with a different scenario. I have a “Login” test that verifies the login process and based on who the employee is, they are taken to one of 3 different screens in the workflow which will eventually branch out to potentially 30 screens in the workflow when all is said and done.  

I have a data driven loop set up on the "Login" test which calls a different test to execute for the next page in the workflow, but when I get to the next screen, the screen always seems to be reading off of the first record in the data file, and not necessarily the employee I am logged in as (the second employee in the loop for example).

Is there a way to maintain the Employee ID easily from screen to screen using a feature in the Key Word test or is this something that will have to be coded?  Thank you all in advance!

6 Replies

dmiscannon
    Frequent Contributor

What variable level is your Data Driven Loop set at (Local, Project, or ProjectSuite?) It sounds like the record number of your data driven loop is not being passed to the called test.

DCat1223
      Frequent Contributor

It's set to Local.  Should it be set to Project?

dmiscannon
        Frequent Contributor

Either Project or ProjectSuite. Your choice. Personally, I use ProjectSuite.