Forum Discussion

TanyaYatskovska
SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
6 years ago

[Talks] Microsoft Edge - the future of the browser. Chrome has won?

Hi Community,

I've just noticed several questions about Microsoft Edge in the Community. And, I recollected the news we got at the end of the year from Microsoft.

Do you remember the unexpected news about Microsoft’s intention to use Chromium for Edge? I realized that we never talked about this!

Microsoft released Edge in Jan 2015 to replace the old IE browser. I'm sure many of us remember the first release. After the first usage, I decided that IE wasn't so bad :) Of course, Edge has been significantly improved since that time! It's not the number one browser, but it's quite popular. Microsoft spent a lot of money on its development.

And now, Microsoft decided to use Chromium in the Edge engine. Many browsers, as well as Google Chrome, use this framework. What will this mean? I think it will be easier to create cross-browser sites and, of course, automated tests.
However, I feel like Microsoft Edge lost its ‘personality’. Now, I realize that I was proud of Microsoft - they didn't use a ready solution, they created their own. It looks like those years are in the past, and I feel disappointed somehow :(

What do you think about this change?

3 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

Doesn't really affect us personally. Our analytics show that Edge only ever accounted for < 1% of our overall traffic. I don't think it ever really caught on. 

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I'm personally in favor of adapting open-source solutions.  Now, I'm hoping that Microsoft doesn't "take over" Chromium take away the open source flavor of it, but if they don't, that means Microsoft will need to adopt better, more open practices in their OS and Browser development... it's a significant shift in the company's development philosophy...

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for your feedback, guys.

I believe that the popularity of this browser will grow if it's improved. PC users won't need to do additional actions to install another browser, like Chrome for example. 

Anyway, let's see. I agree with you Robert - this is a significant shift for Microsoft. Let's wish them good luck :)