Forum Discussion

eykxas
Frequent Contributor
8 years ago

TC12 and Firefox

Hi,

there is a way to get Firefox 33 working in TestComplete 12 ? All upper versions of Firefox have a bug with the property VisibleOnScreen. (even the latest 52.02).

Thank you.

12 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, no.  Many of the older versions of FireFox have had their support deprecated in TestComplete 12 and even earlier versions.

Step 1: Go to Help -> Check for Updates and see if there is a FireFox patch to download.

Step 2: If that doesn't help, definitely open a ticket with Support at https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

eykxas
      Frequent Contributor

I definitly don't want to upgrade the version of FF. The 33 is the only wich works fine with my project.

I have two solutions, find a way for supporting FF33 in TC12 (possible to recompile tcHookFF33.dll for TC12 ?) or find an other property which has the same effect than "VisibleOnScreen".

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

eykxas wrote:

I definitly don't want to upgrade the version of FF. The 33 is the only wich works fine with my project.

I'm not understanding this statement... are you testing an application that only works properly in FF version 33? Or is it that your test automation project only works with FF 33?  Either way, that's a big issue as most FireFox users are probably using the latest version so any tests on an older version could miss bugs.  For good tests, I think you would do well to adapt to a more recent version of FireFox.

eykxas wrote:

I have two solutions, find a way for supporting FF33 in TC12 (possible to recompile tcHookFF33.dll for TC12 ?) or find an other property which has the same effect than "VisibleOnScreen".

What is going on with the "VisibleOnScreen" property with FireFox? How is it not working or what effect are you seeing?  Basically, VisibleOnScreen is exactly that... if you can see it on screen when the test is running, then that value is true, otherwise, it's false.  As far as I know, that property is pretty browser independent.  So, a description of the behavior you're expecting versus the behavior your observing may be helpful here... perhaps there's some explanation that will help you move forward.  

As for recompiling tcHookFF33.dll...  I'm not a SmartBear employee so you'll have to submit the request to them via their support case dialog as noted above.  However, I'm pretty confident in saying that probably won't happen quickly.  FF 33 has been deprecated in support by TC for a reason, primarily that it's so old that no one is using it any more because FF has an auto-update feature that the majority of end users are comfortable with just letting happen, much like IE or Chrome.  So, by now, the browser market probably has such an insignificant number (if any) users on FF 33 that it doesn't make business sense to continue to support it.