Forum Discussion

jose_pita
Super Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

TC only using 25% of CPU

Hi there,

Is it possible to put TC using 100% of my CPU?

I have a rather "slow poke" CPU and after a while working with TC, it gets really slow.

Don't know if it is the number of logs saved or what, but after I restart it and deleting the logs I don't need, it returns to normal.

I'm wondering if it is possible to give TC the ability to use all of the processing power in order to make my tests faster.

I already set the priority to realtime on task manager and the affinity is for all 4 processors...
  • TC never used more than one core AFAIK. The script engine is single-threaded anyways, the UI work has to be done on the UI thread, and the whole thing is old, so there is likely nothing in there to take advantage of core parallelism. If you want to use 100% of your CPU, you need a CPU with only 1 core. Alternatively you could install an hypervisor and run 4 concurrent VMs...

The reason why everything gets slow is TC's horrible memory management. Add badly structured project and namemapping files, badly implemented auto-complete, and probably a memory leak or two. Personally I kill the TestComplete or TestExecute process completely between each test.

4 Replies

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    TC never used more than one core AFAIK. The script engine is single-threaded anyways, the UI work has to be done on the UI thread, and the whole thing is old, so there is likely nothing in there to take advantage of core parallelism. If you want to use 100% of your CPU, you need a CPU with only 1 core. Alternatively you could install an hypervisor and run 4 concurrent VMs...

The reason why everything gets slow is TC's horrible memory management. Add badly structured project and namemapping files, badly implemented auto-complete, and probably a memory leak or two. Personally I kill the TestComplete or TestExecute process completely between each test.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jose,

It sounds as if some load balance utility is used on your computer. Can you check this?

jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    Nothing I installed, it's a fresh windows 8.1 installation.

I think TC is not read for more than 1 core, can you check this with dev team?