Forum Discussion

Lee_M
Community Hero
3 years ago
Solved

String Default Values

I have a persistent variable of type String   I have 'unset'/deleted the Local Value and then perform a KW log message on the variable I expected to see the default value but instead, I see a b...
    AlexKaras
    3 years ago

Hi,

What is the point of having a default value then?
    The roots of this functionality are back to the projects opened in a Shared Mode. Unfortunately, this extremely useful functionality is broken for several years (major TestComplete versions) and I barely hope it will be restored (Case #00126077)

When a project was opened in a shared mode, all its project variables became per-computer personalized. I.e. if you open your test project in the shared mode from box A, the value of the dataPath project variable could be c:\testData\ but if you open the same project from box B, the value of the same variable could be d:\dataForMyTests\.

In the above scenario, when the project was opened in the shared mode for the first time on the given box, all project variables got their local values from default ones. So in this case default value of the project variable had exactly that meaning that you are expecting.

Unfortunately, as I said, the above scenario with its extensions like customized set of enabled Test Items (that personally I widely used) does not work anymore and thus your version of reply ("It is like having a second variable value in this case") is much closer to reality. The only convenience is that you do not need to have separate variables for actual and default value but can have one variable that keeps both actual and default value.

sonya_m : Just for your information. Case #00126077...