Forum Discussion

ppfeifer
Contributor
5 years ago

Setting the Default download directory for Keyword tests.

I have an application that creates a report in csv format.    I need to save that file in a particular directory.  My Browser sertings defaut drive is "Download" . I need this to go to a shared google drive instead of the C; Drive.  How can I set the default download directory during my keyword test to use a different directory just for this one test?

10 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

You probably don't need to.  Here's what we do for something similar

1. Use the "Sys.Username" property to grab the username of the user currently logged in
    2. Get that user's "Download" directory (C:\Users\<username>\Downloads) and find the file downloade
    3. Use aqFileSystem object to copy the file from that directory to your desired destination.

That's ultimately easier than messing around with changing Chrome settings or manipulating download dialogs.

ppfeifer
      Contributor

We are trying to automate so the download needs to be directed to the Shared Google drive for this test.  The file will be created once a month.  Is there a way to  change Chrome settings or manipulating download dialogs during the test and then resetting back?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

My suggestion was an automation suggestion.  You would write code to do so.  Let Chrome download to the default folder and then, after the download, write code to move the file as indicated.  My guess is that you're not automating/testing the ability of Chrome to download to the Shared Google drive.  So, how the file gets to the shared google drive is, most likely, immaterial to the test.

ppfeifer
      Contributor

I will give this a try.   I will definitely use it for other instances.   The prblem I have is that it is code and I do not do much code.   I rely heavily on recorded keyword tests.   (Although I have been using a lot of the TestComplete precoded scripts and getting them to work with my tests).

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

You can do all that I suggested in keyword tests.  There is an operation "Call object method" that allows you to use objects like aqFileSystem.  You can use the Set Variable operation and, in the value part, set to Code expression and call the System.Username value in the expression.

One thing to note... Keyword tests ARE code... just visualized code.  You're doing basically all the same stuff, just with drag and drop capabilities.  Regardless, I've found that, as good as Keyword Tests are, there are always things you can do better, more easily, and more elegantly with a little bit of code.