Forum Discussion

mrouse
Contributor
13 years ago

RunTime error Object expected?

Hello all,

I am getting a RunTime error message "Object expected" (see attached) when I run my TestComplete script.  It occures when the test gets to the If statement below

Appswitchertextis =  Aliases.iexplore.pageEmds.panelFullwindow.panelMaincontent.panelMainheader.textnodeAppswitchertext3.outertext;

If( !Appswitchertextis == "Schedule" )

{

Aliases.iexplore.pageEmds.panelFullwindow.panelMaincontent.panelMainheader.textnodeAppswitchertext.Click(); //.Click(147, 9)

Aliases.iexplore.pageEmds.panelFullwindow.panelMaincontent.textnodeAppswitchw.textnodeSchedule.Click(); //Click(48, 11)

}

The Appswitchertextis var does contain the "Schedule" string which is expected. (checked just before the if statement).

I don't know if the error occurs due to the If statement line or the statements in the If statement's body.  All I know is it occurs when I F10 past the 1st line of the If statement line.

I looked through the fourm but couldn't find a lot on runtime errors. 

Thanks for any help.

Mike

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Your problem is in this line

If( !Appswitchertextis == "Schedule" )

You want to test if it is not equal to "Schedule".  A better way of writing this is

If (Appswitchertextis != "Schedule" )
  • Robert,

Thanks for the reply. 

Also, I wasn't aware of the case sensitivity for the properity.  Ss far as the rest of the line (first part) can I just cut and paste the MappedName out of the Object Spy and assume the case is right?  The reason I ask is when I look at the MappedName in the Object Spy and compare it to the Object Browser the case is different.

Thanks,

Mike
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Mapped name of an object is not the same as the actual object name itself.  But outerText is not an object, it's a property which cannot be "mapped".

In any case, let me know if these couple of corrections fix things.
  • Hi Robert,

Your suggestions did help to "Fix" the problem but didn't get me all the way there.  But I did get the Runtime error corrected and I hate to write this down because it was so stupid and simple, but hopefully for the benefit of others...

The reason for the RunTime error was because I misspelled the if in the if statement with an  upper case "I" instead of "if".

Thanks,

Mike