Forum Discussion

aa1
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Run a bat file from network does not work

Hi,

I am trying to use wshshell to run a bat file from cmd but somehow I cannot get it right. All I am doing is do a cd\ on the cmd to get back to local and then browse the network path. Do I need to map it to local drive? Please help!

var path = "\\\abc.local\\def\\Clickonce\\AB\\stg\\xyz.temp.Desktop.application";
  var WshShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
  WshShell.Run("cmd /K cd\\" & "cmd /K" + path);
  Delay(10000);

The error just says: 

JScript runtime error.

The system cannot find the file specified

Thank you in advance,
aa
  • Rather than use "CD", set the CurrentDirectory property on the WshShell object.

For that matter... you don't need to instantiate the shell object... TestComplete provides a wrapper.  I don't think, either, that you need to use the CMD /K anywhere in this... you just need to indicate the batch file to run... which is, I assum, the contents of the "path" variable.

var path = "\\\abc.local\\def\\Clickonce\\AB\\stg\\xyz.temp.Desktop.application";
      WshShell.CurrentDirectory = "C:\\" //Or whatever you want your root to be
      WshShell.Run(path);
      Delay(10000);

7 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

You're trying to run two commands within the same WShellRun command.  I don't think that's allowed.  Try splitting it into two different runs rather than trying to concatenate with the & symbol

aa1
      Contributor

Hi tristaanogre ,

Thank you for the reply. I tried doing that but I couldnt make it to work. If I split it into two lines:

1. WshShell.Run("cmd /K cd\\") ----- Opens cmd and resets the path due to cd\

2. WshShell.Run("cmd /K" + path); -- Opens cmd and searches for the path and gives error that it cannot find the path specified. The path is not accessible from this location.

I need to reach the path after doing cd\ so how do I do it in two steps?

Please advise.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Rather than use "CD", set the CurrentDirectory property on the WshShell object.

For that matter... you don't need to instantiate the shell object... TestComplete provides a wrapper.  I don't think, either, that you need to use the CMD /K anywhere in this... you just need to indicate the batch file to run... which is, I assum, the contents of the "path" variable.

WshShell.CurrentDirectory = "C:\\" //Or whatever you want your root to be
          WshShell.Run(path);
          Delay(10000);