Forum Discussion

oleg_sigalov
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago

Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed

Hi, I've installed new workstaion with Windows 7 64bit, TestComplete ver 10.30.1303.7.

I get this fail in this line:

ProjectSuite.Variables.RunConfiguration.Reset

It works fine on other stations.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

11 Replies

oleg_sigalov
    Occasional Contributor

RESOLVED:

I needed to install "Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007".

I'm disappointed that you didn't mantined this on the installation guide. I've wasted a lot of time because of this.

sireesha
      New Contributor

I tried to do the same but the issue is not yet resolved.

note: using MS office - 365 Pro plus

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

If you're running the 64-bit version of TestComplete, you need to make sure that the drivers you've installed are 64-bit as well.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Oleg,

I also seem to have the same problem on 64-bit machine some time ago. The reason was that required 32-bit (because of TC's bitness) Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB provider was not installed and it looks like that latest 64-bit OS installers does not contain 32-bit ADO binaries. I did a very quick googling and found that the mentioned "microsoft office access database engine 2007" installer should contain the needed provider. I installed it and so far everything works as expected.

I think that I could use old good 32-bit ADO installer and it had to do the things as well, but it was just faster for me to install the mentioned db engine.
      anik_cadieux
      Contributor

Hi,

We installed AccessDatabaseEngine on our development PCs where TestComplete is installed.

But do you know if AccessDatabaseEngine must be installed on all the VM where TestExecute is installed ?

Thank you,

Anik

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Anik,

If your test code uses ADO functionality and the used ADOprovider is not installed on VMs, then yes, you mst install the required provider on every VM used to run tests.

P.S. Just a reminder - pay attention to install 32-bit version of the provider even if you install it on 64-bit machine, otherwise TestComplete will not be able to use it and you will get a message that the provider was not found.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Oleg,

Check the value of the variable. It can contain a connection string to the DB. Thus, you need to install the provider specified in the string.

Anyway, the solution will depend on what is specified in the variable.

oleg_sigalov
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm trying to get string from Excel file. I have Microsoft Office 2013 installed.

Maybe this issue because of the Office "driver" or somthing like that...?
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Oleg,

To access different data sources different providers may be required, so it is not aesy to name all of them in the help system. Especially, considering that this is not TestComplete's functionality, but operating system's one.

Please also note, that usually installation program installs provider that corresponds to the bitness of the operating system. But because TestComplete is 32-bit application, you must install 32-bit version of the corresponding provider.
    oleg_sigalov
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alexei,

But the problem is that I have Office 2013, and I must install "microsoft office access database engine 2007". There is no way for me to know that I need to install older version.

Anyway, thanks for fast response.