Forum Discussion

dyarwood
Contributor
11 years ago

Problem with IE and downloading/saving files to desktop

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a problem with the popup dialog in IE that they use to open or save files when downloading documents?

The object browser calls this the Frame Notification Bar in general and it's apparently composed of several UIAObject("Notification"). 

I'm having inconsistent results when mapping it. Some elements seem to be easily accessible (the text and Close buttons for example never fail). The other buttons though, they work sometimes and other times fail "Object not found." I've been able at times to map the buttons easily only to right-click and test "Highlight object on Screen" and watch it fail. Other times the object spy picks the Save button right up, but if I try to map it the window frame is as deep as the recognition by TestComplete goes. It seems to work the first time my test runs, but only that first time. 

If anyone else out there has had problems with this popup I'd really appreciate a few pointers on how to reliably get it to work. I'm using keyword tests on TC10 on IE11.

I've put a few screenshots up. The first simply shows the IE dialog. Then I show it in the Object Browser, etc.

Thanks,

David

8 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi David,

There are several approaches to improve object recognition in TestComplete. The most popular are UI Automation and MSAA. You can read more about them in TestComplete articles here and here or in MSDN. What technology you need to use depends only on your tested application. In other words, your app should support one of them.

To make TestComplete use one of the technologies, the corresponding window class must be specified in project settings:

If, as in this case, it's possible to use both technologies to help TestComplete recognize objects, you need to choose what you will use and continue using it for all your tests. For IE dialogs, I prefer using MSAA. It doesn't mean that UI Automation isn't a good solution. That's only because I got used to it.

TanyaYatskovska

Hi David,

There are at least two views of this download panel:

1. Before downloading

2. After downloading

The screenshots you attached are referring to the second view when there is the View Downloads button, but there is no Save.

Although, you are talking about the first view. Could you please check that?

• Hi Tanya,

Yes there are 2 views. I'm trying to map the Save button on the first view - that's where I have problems consistently.

Thanks Alexei! I added DirectUIHWND, #32770 and UIAObject to MSAA under Tools - Current Project - Open Applications and at least for this morning it's working well. It's picking up the Save button every time so far. It is recognizing the object now as SplitButton("Save") but that's an easy update. 

David 
      ssingh639
      Occasional Visitor

hi,

probably you are suing IE11 in win-10. In win-10 it reads it is recognizing the object now as SplitButton("Save"), but in win-7, TC-11.3 reads it as :

Sys.Browser().BrowserWindow(0).Window("Frame Notification Bar").UIAObject("Notification").UIAObject("Save").UIAObject(1).Click()

so, if you are doing destributed testing on different plateforms, it doesnt work identical for both the plateforms.

can anyone help on this?

Thanks & Best regards

-Samar

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Samar,

Are you asking a question or replying to the four years-old thread?

If the former, could you please be more specific with the problem and what you have tried?

TanyaYatskovska

Hi David,

As far as I see from the screenshots, you've added the UIAObject class to the MSAA list. However, I don't recommend that you map UI Automation objects under MSAA. It's better to use UI Automation technology for such objects. So, I suggest that you remove this class from the MSAA windows.

• Hi Tanya,

Thanks for the info. If that's the right way to do it then I will remove the steps from my test that interact with IE's Save dialog and try to implement your suggestion. Could you be a little more descriptive though when you say UI Automation? This is the record & playback novice in me speaking, but what are you referring to as UI Automation? That's what I think I'm doing with TestComplete now.

Thanks,

David