Forum Discussion

tarleaa
Contributor
14 years ago

Out of Memory error

Hello,

Sometimes during my test run, I receive the "Out of memory" error. This happens when the test reaches on a page.Wait() line. It does not happen always, just some of the times. (Please see attached screen shot and zipped log.)

Is there any solution in fixing this issue?

Thanks,

Andrei

9 Replies

AndersW
    Occasional Contributor
    I am very interesting in an answer on this issue, as I seem to run into massive memory leaks in TC when running my MainScript.

I can run my test cases individually all day long and there are no problems, but on two different PCs we encounter 'Out of memory' errors in TC when running the MainScript (calling all test scripts), as TC eventually eats up 1,7Gb of RAM and our system runs out of memory.

I run my MainScript at night when I leave the office, and the next morning everything hangs and I got hundreds of those error messages in TC. All I can do is kill TC process in Task Manager.

We are currently using v7.52.

• Hi All,

There is a known issue that can cause this problem. The issue occurs due to the large Name Mapping file (NameMapping.tcNM), and it will be fixed in the next update of the tool.

We have a patch for the problem, and you can request it by submitting a request via the Contact Support form.
  • Hi David,

I am not using Name Mapping and the file mentioned by you has only 2KB, and still this issue occurs. Could this be fixed with the same patch?

Thanks,

Andrei

• Hi Andrei,

No, the problem doesn't seem to be related to the problems with the Name Mapping feature I mentioned.
  • Hello David,

And is there any fix for this issue?

What causes it?

How can I make so that it does not affect my tests?

Can I use something else to wait for a page instead of page.Wait() ?

Thanks,

Andrei

• Hi Andrei,

We are not aware of this issue with TestComplete 7.52, and we need to investigate the issue to find its cause. Please continue working with us via e-mail.
  • Hi David (AQA)

We recently upgraded from TestComplete 7.52 to 8.0 and the NameMapping.tcNM file grew from a manageable 3MB in size to over 20MB in size. The 20MB+ file is causing problems for our version control system.

Does the patch for this problem make the NameMapping.tcNM file smaller, or split it into multiple files, or does it just fix the memory problem?

Thanks,

Blair.
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Blair,

Disable (uncheck) the 'Store Code Completion information' option under Tools | Options | Engines | Name Mapping node and save namemapping file from TestComplete.

See 'Name Mapping Options Dialog' help topic for more details.

• Hi Blair,

I can add to Alex's answer that you can remove the existing Code Completion information from the file. To do this, open the file with a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and clear the content of the <Node name="typeinfo"> node.