cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onscreen object is THERE but not drawn/shown (something) and is clicked beforetime.

Super Contributor

Onscreen object is THERE but not drawn/shown (something) and is clicked beforetime.

I have a test which demonstrates a situation that I have intermittently. A test will fail (sometimes) because, seemingly, while a click is reporting in the log as happening, its underlying event is not fired. Or something. In the attached log, you see a top meny is "clicked". It is supposed to expose another menu. But that other menu, where you see a click on empty space, is not present. 

Has anyone every encountered this? Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Community Hero

Re: Onscreen object is THERE but not drawn/shown (something) and is clicked beforetime.

Yes, all of us, a lot!  Smiley Happy

TestComplete will execute your test steps as quickly as it can, according to the project settings.  Sometimes it can get ahead of your app and be trying to click on something that isn't there yet.  This can happen when you are first working on a test, or when you move a test to a different machine, or the network is slow, or...  

There are various ways to fix this.  Take a look at this as a start.  

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/test-objects/members/common-for-all/waitch...

Super Contributor

Re: Onscreen object is THERE but not drawn/shown (something) and is clicked beforetime.

Thanks. I am well versed in wait strategies. The issue is not that the wait for the object is inadequate, but that the click that preceeds is not firing the event that causes the desired object to be shown as evidenced by the attached log. No matter how long I wait before the second click, the object is not visible.

Super Contributor

Nevermind. The thing that is being clicked on is not he desired object. I have more research to do. Thanks

Community Leader

Hi @vthomeschoolmom 

Just an observation. The click event before the error is clicking at an x,y coordinate, which may or may not have the button present at the time of the click.  Would inserting a HoverMouse be appropriate here ?

HoverMouse

-------------------------------------------------
Standard syntax disclaimers apply
Regards,
Super Contributor

Thanks for your observation. There are no coordinates in the code that does the click. The original symptom I reported is not the actual one. I was wrong. The space that is being clicked is no where near the object I am desiring to click at the error location. I do believe I found a loverly defect in our application. The item that is supposed to be clicked is not being drawn, but the rest of the menu to the left of a cerain point is. Anyway, the symptom is not what I first reported and more research is required.

Thanks for your post!

Super Contributor

Nevermind. I am an idiot. 

Community Leader

@vthomeschoolmom Would it be wrong to Kudo the last post ? Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------
Standard syntax disclaimers apply
Regards,
Super Contributor

LOL! No. That actually literally made me laugh.

Community Hero

You get kudos for saying it in public.  Most posters would have just disappeared.   Smiley Wink

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Read the Latest News
NovemberNews
Top Kudoed Authors