Forum Discussion

ristokochevski
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Obtaining Tooltip parameters

Hi,

I'm writing a VBScript test for a desktop application and I need to retrieve all parameters for a tooltip. I can not do that with the Object Spy, neither by dragging the target to the object, neither with the Point and fix option. This is because whenever I move the mouse cursor away, the tooltip disappears.

How can I get the list of all parameters for a tooltip object (like it is possible with normal objects)?

I'm using TestComplete 12.50

Best,

tristaanogre
    6 years ago

In some of the applications that I've tested in the past, the tooltip is, many times, a property of the object to which it is associated.  Have you looked through all the available properties of that object to see if there is a "tooltip" property?

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Interesting that Point and Fix doesn't get the information for you.  You should be able to hover over something, get the outline around the tool tip, and hit SHIFT-CTRL-A to capture the info.

Alternatively, you could go directly to the object browser in TestComplete and find the component with the tool tip.  You should then be able to find the tool tip information that way.

ristokochevski
      New Contributor

Point and fix doesn't get the information because, as I've said, the tooltip vanishes whenever I move the mouse cursor.
      The tooltip appears one pixel bellow the object, so whenever I try to move the cursor from the object to the tool tip, the balloon disappears, making it impossible to catch it and get the red outline around the tool tip.

The Object Browser is also not an option. The Object Browser only displays objects which are visible at the moment. Since the tool tip is not visible, I can not find it in the object tree.

I need to find some workaround to somehow highlight the tooltip and then open the Object Tree, so I can retrieve its parameters in the Object Browser.

Best,

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

In some of the applications that I've tested in the past, the tooltip is, many times, a property of the object to which it is associated.  Have you looked through all the available properties of that object to see if there is a "tooltip" property?