Forum Discussion

ThomasCasserly
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Object spy not working in Firefox

Hi, 

I installed a TestComplete update a few days ago and also installed the Firefox patch for Firefox version 57.0.4. 

Initially after the install object detection was working fine on Firefox. Today however object recognition is not working on Firefox, webpage objects are not being highlighted, only the window frame is detected and highlighted. 

Object detection is working on other browsers, I have tried it with Chrome and webpage objects are detected and highlighted using the object spy.

I have tried re-installing the Firefox patch but this did not resolve the problem. 

I am using two monitor screens, which I mention as I found a community post where this had caused object detection problems and a patch fix was required. So I'm wondering if this might be the cause in my case. 

Thanks 

Tom.

• Hi,

I checked all versions of TestComplete, Firefox etc. and couldn't find any issues. Tried using just one monitor and problem still occurred.

Solution was to uninstall and reinstall TestComplete, which prompted to install the latest Firefox update again as part of the install process.

Object spy and control detection then worked as normal.

• OK,

so I finally applied the windows updates and now everything is working fine.

Issue with object spy not working after a machine restart is no longer occurring.

So I'm not sure what the update did that caused the issue to be resolved, but resolved it is.

Tom.

8 Replies

ThomasCasserly
    Frequent Contributor

OK,

so I finally applied the windows updates and now everything is working fine.

Issue with object spy not working after a machine restart is no longer occurring.

So I'm not sure what the update did that caused the issue to be resolved, but resolved it is.

Tom.

ThomasCasserly
    Frequent Contributor

Was just using the Object browser and noticed a reference to Chrome while I'm spying on the Firefox page (this is the only object that is currently detected in Firefox)

Sys.Browser("firefox").UIPage("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul").deck("content_deck")

Could this be something to do with my issue??

(this is the only object that is currently detected in Firefox when I use the object spy)

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

If it worked right after the install, then something else has changed. 

What version of TestComplete are you using?

Did your Firefox version get reverted or did you lose your patch?  Double check all your version numbers.

If you think the monitors might be an issue, try it with only one monitor hooked up and see what happens.

ThomasCasserly
    Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I checked all versions of TestComplete, Firefox etc. and couldn't find any issues. Tried using just one monitor and problem still occurred.

Solution was to uninstall and reinstall TestComplete, which prompted to install the latest Firefox update again as part of the install process.

Object spy and control detection then worked as normal.

ThomasCasserly
    Frequent Contributor

Just to update this, the issue is still occurring for me. A reinstall of TestComplete allows the object spy to work initially but once the computer is restarted the object spy stops working. I've verified this with 3 consecutive uninstall/reinstall/test/restart/testagain sequences.

I've logged a case with support and will update here when a solution/answer is available.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

I believe FireFox recently updated to version 58.  Make sure that your environment didn't auto-update.

ThomasCasserly
        Frequent Contributor

Hi,

On installing the most recent version of TestComplete I noticed that the Firefox update referred to version 58. As I was on Firefox version 57 I updated my Firefox to version 58.

This is the setup with which I see the current issue, so it doesn't look to me that Firefox version 58 is the cause as I have seen the same behaviour on both version 57 and version 58 after installing TestComplete and then restarting my system.

Thanks for the response

Tom.