Forum Discussion

MichaelMcFarlan
Contributor
13 years ago

Object spy disappears when running project

I've been using the object spy a lot recently to view the internal fields of a program I'm testing. The annoying part is that every time I want to check what I've written in TestComplete against the program, TestComplete closes the object spy when it runs.. Which means when I go to compare my results with the programs I have to open up the object spy and dig all the back to where the data I need is.

I'm assuming this is done for a reason that has something to do with the way TestComplete runs.. but I'd really appreciate it if the Object Spy just stayed open where it was if at all possible. (All the above goes for the Object Browser too...)

2 Replies

AlexeyK
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Michael,

The Object Spy behaves like a non-modal form, not a panel. It is hidden during the run as it is not typically used at that time. During the test run the Object Spy can be used only if you are debugging your tests. What do you want to keep it open for?

To invoke the Object Spy window faster, you can assign a shortcut to the Object Spy toolbar button:

* Select Tools | Customize Keyboard from TestComplete's main menu.

* In the subsequent dialog, find the Object Browser category in the list on the left.

* Find "Object Spy" in the Commands list on the right.

* Click the "Press new shortcut key" text box.

* Press the desired shortcut on the keyboard.

* Click Apply. TestComplete can ask you to create a new key mapping scheme. Create it. Enter the desired shortcut once again and click Apply again.

* Click OK to save the changes.

• I'm not wanting to keep it open to use during the tests, I want to keep it open to use immediately after the test to compare results I got in TestComplete with fields inside of the actual application I'm testing. However, I was just testing some with the Object browser (as opposed to the Object spy) and it doesn't get reset.. I thought I had tried that before but I guess not. Now I'll just set that to a hotkey and I'll be set. Thanks for that help, I hadn't even seen those hotkey options before.