cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of testcomplete scripting language from java Script to C sharp .

Super Contributor

Migration of testcomplete scripting language from java Script to C sharp .

How difficult it is if the organization decided to move the TestComplete tests written in JavaScript to C# Script ?

We have written the TestComplete Script in javaScript which is easy to use for me. 

Now my concerns are -

What problems/limitations we have if we convert to C# Script ?

How to get started with ?

Please update 

Thanks

Nishchal

18 REPLIES 18
Community Hero

Re: Migration of testcomplete scripting language from java Script to C sharp .

Just verifying... what's the reasoning for changing scripting languages?

The reason I ask is that there is a myth that your scripting langauge needs to match your application under test language.  You don't need to... they are unrelated.

The problems/Limitations... there is no "conversion" process.  You will, literally, need to create a whole new project in C# Script.  Now, you MAY be able to copy in your JavaScript code and adapt for the new syntax, but it's not a "simple" process.

Which brings me back to my first statement... if you don't HAVE to, then I wouldn't bother.  There's no technological need to have your automation in one particular script language over another.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Super Contributor

@tristaanogre 

Thank you for the updates. It is totally the team decision. Here everything in development is finally moving to .net and so C sharp is a .net language.

You are right it is not a simple process. 

But I am concerned if there is any limitations in C sharp which java script do not have in TestComplete ?

Community Hero

C# may be a .NET language... but that makes no impact on the automation.  These are "scripting" languages, not full application level languages so there is no technological reason to move to C# except personal preference.

As noted at https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/language/csscript.html, C#Script is basically just JScript with C# syntax.  There's nothing really different in it.  

My personal opinion: A lot of trouble to convert to C# script with no actual benefit.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.

Extensions available
Community Hero

Hi,

I am absolutely with Robert.

C#Script is actually, JScript language decorized so it can be processed by C# compiler. This was done many years ago in order to be able to create self-tested applications. Self-tested applications are now deprecated in TestComplete in favor of TestLeft. So absolutely no real benefit and unusual syntax. In fact, source code written in JScript, C#Script and C++Script can be used inerchangeably in TestComplete.

You may read comparison between JScript and JavaScript in TestComplete documentation to get an idea of their differences.

One more time - C#Script has absolutely nothing in common with C#.

P.S.

"Totally team decision" - popular reason of nowadays that sounds absolutely strange to me... Why the team should make a decision that is irrelevant for Development and matters to test automation only? Is the whole team ready to take the whole responsibility for the wrong decision? Shouldn't it be the decision of the relevant person who is then responsible for its implementation and takes the whole responsibility for this his/her decision?

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Super Contributor

Thank you for the updates 

@tristaanogre 

@AlexKaras 

Can we use this thread to see what limitations TestComplete will have in Csharp as compared to Javascript? I am already seeing it  .

Community Hero

what limitations TestComplete will have in Csharp as compared to Javascript?

Primarily I meant this help topic: https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/scripting/specifics/javascript-for-jscript-users.htm...

Also https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/scripting/specifics/javascript.html and https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/scripting/specifics/jscript.html ones. (Note, that the latter has JScript, C#Script and C++Script in the title.)

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
Super Contributor

@AlexKaras 

here is one major drawback 

- No code completion is there in TestCome IDE.

For e.g. in JavaScript when we type Log.    after we get the drop down showing lot of properties or methods but in case of C sharp When we type Log["         Nothing appears 

Community Hero

Well, quite possible. Smiley Happy

"This is personal preference" - (c) Robert in his post in this thread.

Personally I use code completion in a rare cases to check if I properly ported direct .Net calls to dotNET object's syntax. But this may be of high importance for someone else. Likewise something that matters to me may be irrelevant to others.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
Highlighted
Community Hero

@nisgupta wrote:

@AlexKaras 

here is one major drawback 

- No code completion is there in TestCome IDE.

For e.g. in JavaScript when we type Log.    after we get the drop down showing lot of properties or methods but in case of C sharp When we type Log["         Nothing appears 

As noted in the articles, C#Script is just JScript wearing different clothes.  So, you technically can still type Log. and get the methods from there.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
----

Extensions available
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Watch the new Interview