Forum Discussion

nisgupta
Valued Contributor
5 years ago

Migration of testcomplete scripting language from java Script to C sharp .

How difficult it is if the organization decided to move the TestComplete tests written in JavaScript to C# Script ?

We have written the TestComplete Script in javaScript which is easy to use for me. 

Now my concerns are -

What problems/limitations we have if we convert to C# Script ?

How to get started with ?

Please update 

Thanks

Nishchal

18 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Just verifying... what's the reasoning for changing scripting languages?

The reason I ask is that there is a myth that your scripting langauge needs to match your application under test language.  You don't need to... they are unrelated.

The problems/Limitations... there is no "conversion" process.  You will, literally, need to create a whole new project in C# Script.  Now, you MAY be able to copy in your JavaScript code and adapt for the new syntax, but it's not a "simple" process.

Which brings me back to my first statement... if you don't HAVE to, then I wouldn't bother.  There's no technological need to have your automation in one particular script language over another.

nisgupta
      Valued Contributor

tristaanogre 

Thank you for the updates. It is totally the team decision. Here everything in development is finally moving to .net and so C sharp is a .net language.

You are right it is not a simple process. 

But I am concerned if there is any limitations in C sharp which java script do not have in TestComplete ?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

C# may be a .NET language... but that makes no impact on the automation.  These are "scripting" languages, not full application level languages so there is no technological reason to move to C# except personal preference.

As noted at https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/language/csscript.html, C#Script is basically just JScript with C# syntax.  There's nothing really different in it.  

My personal opinion: A lot of trouble to convert to C# script with no actual benefit.