Forum Discussion

whuang
Regular Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Keep getting Object required error message when using FindAllChildren method

Hi everyone,

I was trying to use FindAllChildren method to look for an object from the parent, but I keep getting "VBScript runtime error. Object required: 'FindAllChildren(...)'" when I run the script below. But if I use Find or FindChild method, it worked fine. Can anyone help me what was wrong?

Sub test

sys.Browser("*").Page("*").Find("contentText", "CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 2019 Education Edition", 10).Parent.FindAllChildren("ObjectLabel", "Choose a language:", 50).ClickItem("Spanish")

End Sub

Thanks!

• Hi whuang 

Why are you combining FindAllChildren with a click ?  FindAllChildren returns an array of items, not a single item, even if the array has a length of 1.  TC probably won't know what to click.  Since FindAllChildren excudes the current node, it is possible that by doing a FindAllChildren, you are excluding the one thing that TC can click, namely the parent.  If you use a FindChild rather than FindAllChildren with exact riterai, you should get a single list to to clickitem on

4 Replies

• Hi whuang 

Why are you combining FindAllChildren with a click ?  FindAllChildren returns an array of items, not a single item, even if the array has a length of 1.  TC probably won't know what to click.  Since FindAllChildren excudes the current node, it is possible that by doing a FindAllChildren, you are excluding the one thing that TC can click, namely the parent.  If you use a FindChild rather than FindAllChildren with exact riterai, you should get a single list to to clickitem on

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

To add to RUDOLF_BOTHMA 

You're combining a Find to find an object and then calling the parent of it before doing a findallchildren... what if the first Find doesn't find anything at all?  Or, what if the first find finds something that doesn't HAVE a Parent to call "FindAllChildren" on?

If you're going to use Find methods to find objects, you need to add additional code to verify that the Find worked all along the line.  Otherwise, you'll get all sorts of potential object not found issues.

whuang
        Regular Contributor

Thanks tristaanogre RUDOLF_BOTHMA I thought FindChild method would only search for one child and return the search result, and FindAllChildren would look through all Children but still return the first finding as the result. Now I understand. Below is the screenshot of the tree view. Link(0) is the object I was looking for by using the first Find, and the LanguageSelection is somewhere under another parallel object. Can you let me know whatelse I can add into the code to the Find worked all along the line?