Forum Discussion

JMo_QA
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Iterative Excel Data Based Test Run

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question however I don't see an answer here. I thought I had done this previously when working with Test Complete but for the life of me cannot seem to get it g...
    6 years ago

The answer may not be what you think.

We, too, have to make sure that, each time we run a test case, we use "unique" data.  Rather than relying on an external file for determining the unique data, we utilize one of two methods currently.

1) We have an SQL data table with key/value pairs that we use for generating unique ID's for certain functions.  An SQL query to the data table retrieves the current value of a given key/value pair and then increments it.  Each time we run a test, this generates a new unique ID that we can then use to create other unique data.

2) We use something like aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr(aqDateTime.Now(), '%Y%m%d%H%M') to generate a unique 12 digit number.  This number is unique every minute.  We then use this to create other data within our test case.

Now... both points I say, "we use this to create other unique data"... basically, we take whatever we generated as a unique number and append it to something else.  For example, for a person's first name that we want to be unique every time, we use a "Set Variable Value" in a keyword test and use a code expression of 

'First' + KeywordTests.MyTest.Variables.uniqueID

and this generates a unique first name each time we run the tests.  I find this to be a LOT easier than writing some code to make sure we always use the "next" row in an excel spreadsheet.