cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iterating through rows and clicking on specific row element

Marsha_R
Community Hero

Re: Iterating through rows and clicking on specific row element

Even though it looks the same to you, the button probably has a slightly different object name on the other page.  You might not be able to call it "x" all the way through the test.  It might need to be Page1x and Page2x and  you check for enabled separately for the two.

Vars01
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @AlexKaras @Marsha_R I tried giving two separate object name/xpaths but it is not working for me,in first page only it starts looking at both the objects and the script fails. It might be due to my lack of coding knowledge but I am not getting how should I use 2nd object name. Could you please tell me where should I put 2nd/disabled object/xpath in the below mentioned code. In the below mentioned code I am trying to get the row counts for all the pages.

function Test()
{

var TotalCount;

do
{
var RowCount = Aliases.browser.pageSapiensDecision.FindElements("xpath for Rows");

TotalCount = TotalCount+RowCount.length;

//Enabled Next button
var Next_Button = Aliases.browser.pageName.ObjectName;
Next_Button.click();
}while (Next_Button.Enabled == true)

Log.Message(TotalCount);
}

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi,

how should we verify that.

Alas, web developers and web technologies are extremely ingenious these days in doing the same thing different ways. Even within one same web page.

To disable some web element, this element itself may be disabled. Or its parent. Or parent of the parent. Different class may be applied. Or some custom attribute or attribute's value and so on.

So you must either talk to developers and ask them how you can distinguish enabled element from disabled one or carefully inspect the element itself along with its parent(s) (if needed) in the Object Browser and figure out what makes this element to become disabled (state of some parent, class name, property, etc.) and use this finding in your code.

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
[Community Heroes] are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Posts made by [Community Heroes]
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
The [Community Hero] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
https://community.smartbear.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hall-of-fame
================================
Vars01
Occasional Contributor

@AlexKaras 

I tried checking in the TestComplete, when we are spying the object it is showing properties as Enabled = true even though on the screen the element is disabled.

className is slightly different for both, enabled element like class = "ui-button" and for disabled like class = "ui-button disabled"

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi,

enabled element like class = "ui-button" and for disabled like class = "ui-button disabled"

And this is the key for your case.

To distinguish between enabled and disabled button you must check if the value of the 'class' property contains 'disabled' substring.

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
Vars01
Occasional Contributor

@AlexKaras  I have tried the below code but still it is not working. I might be doing something wrong but now sure what it is. Can you please have a look,

function Count()
{

var Row;
var TotalCount=0;
var hasNext = true;
do
{
Row = Aliases.browser.pageName.FindElements("//span[@class='className']");
TotalCount = TotalCount + Row.length;

if(Aliases.browser.pageName.FindElement("//a[((contains(concat(' ',@class,' '),'ui-paginator-next ')) and not(contains(concat(' ',@class,' '),' ui-state-disabled')))]").Exists)
{
var Next_Button = Aliases.browser.pageName.FindElement("//a[((contains(concat(' ',@class,' '),'ui-paginator-next ')) and not(contains(concat(' ',@class,' '),' ui-state-disabled')))]");

Next_Button.click();
}
else
{
hasNext = false;
}

}while (hasNext=true)

Log.Message(TotalCount);
}

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi,

still it is not working.

What exactly does not work?

Assuming that XPath-es are correct, I think that condition is missed for the Next_Button.

I would expect something like this:

var Next_Button = Aliases.browser.pageName.FindElement("//a[((contains(concat(' ',@class,' '),'ui-paginator-next ')) and not(contains(concat(' ',@class,' '),' ui-state-disabled')))]");

if (Next_Buton.Exists)

Next_Button.click();

else

hasNext = false;

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
Vars01
Occasional Contributor

@AlexKaras  The script fails as at the last page where the button is disabled also the TestComplete looks for the below object. It doesn't go inside else block

AlexKaras
Community Hero

Hi,

at the last page where the button is disabled

The button that becomes disabled is Next_Button, isn't it?

If it is, have you tried my suggestion? Does it help?

Regards,
  /Alex [Community Hero]
____
Vars01
Occasional Contributor

@AlexKaras 

The button is same which got disabled but the property is changed when it was enabled the property was class = "ui-button" and when it got disabled the property is updated as class = "ui-button disabled".

I tried your suggestion but the output was same.

Next_button has a property of enabled object.

If I need to consider these two properties separately then how should I put the same in the code. I tried considering two objects one for enabled button other for disabled button but as both the present in different pages. The script fails as TestComplete starts looking for both objects together in the same flow. 

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors