Forum Discussion

endorium
Frequent Contributor
6 years ago

Issues with new chrome

I have the latest test complete and the latest version of chrome that came out 3 days ago.

Now running scripts that did pass, they now fail.

I get a common error saying 'The window was destroyed during method execution'.

The browser window is open and visible. Never had this before the latest updates.

Any advice please as this has stopped all our scripts running

36 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

It's helpful if you give your version numbers of TC and of Chrome.

endorium
      Frequent Contributor

As above the latest versions.

Test complete also crashes a lot on the newest version. Also issue with layouts and window sizing that were not there before.

Chrome : Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Test Complete : Version: 12.50.4142.7 x64

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Concerning TestComplete 12.50 with Chrome version 66, there's another thread up here that gave feedback from the actual customer service staff that, at this time, recommendation is to downgrade Chrome to version 65 as there are issues with v66 that need to be addressed. If you need to address this further, the best suggestion is to contact support directly at https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

As for your other problems....  If you want us to try and answer them here on the forums, please create additional queries/posts for each with as much detail as possible and we'll do our best.  We may end up, at the end, referencing you to support but we may still be able to give insight.

AdamUK
    Occasional Contributor

I'm having issues with Chrome 66 and TC 12.5. 

Tests originally recorded in older versions of Chrome no longer work (fail to recognise objects).  If I try to record tests on our web application I get errors claiming that 'Chromium Embedded Content Detected'.  I checked with a developer and we don't have this.  

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

TanyaYatskovska... There are several people now, in this thread and in others, that are reporting multiple problems using Chrome version 66 with TestComplete 12.50.  The patches page for Chrome patches indicates that TestComplete 12.50 works "out of the box" with Chrome 66.  Could you have the customer service folks take a closer look at this?

TanyaYatskovska
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Guys,

I've talked with the TestComplete Customer Care Team Lead - we are not familiar about any specific issues with Chrome 66.

If you face some problems, the best way to move forward is to contact our Support Team and explain in detail what is going on.

You can reach out to them here:

https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete

tristaanogre, thanks for letting me know!

AdamUK
    Occasional Contributor

"Even so, with new versions of anything, automation tools, browsers, SDKs, there is always a risk that something may change that could break the way you're approaching a solution. "

That's a fair point but the main reason we chose TestComplete and other Smart Bear products was to minimize that risk.   

Marsha_R
      Champion Level 3

Certainly we all chose TestComplete for that reason too, but *everyone* has a unique testing setup and even SmartBear can't cover everything ahead of time.  Contact Support at this link and get individual help with your issue:

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/

jjessop
        Occasional Contributor

UPDATE***

I have tracked down what my issue is. FOR ANYONE seeing the Red rectangle of death on the full browser window:

I was using remote desktop to work on a scripting box that I do ALL of my ui testing on, so it doesn't destroy my local things. 12.5 with chrome, will not function this way. If I access the machine directly and run the exact same test, no problems. All other browsers work through Remote Desktop Connection.. 12.42 worked just great this way as well with all browsers, including chrome.  So my question for the devs is, what changed with how we interact with chrome and 12.5?