Forum Discussion

seenarg
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Issue with MetaData name recognition

Hi,

I am facing an issue identifying an object using testcomplete. In my application, names are given for all controls and testcomplete recognizes these. But there is a dialog which is a parent for these controls that is of type Dialog.Metadata. Even though a name is provided for this, testcomplete identifies it using the title

Does testcomplete have any limitation identifying metadata?

Regards,

Seena

5 Replies

ArtemS
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

As metadata names are not obligatory for many programming languages and platforms, TestComplete did not use them for object identification by default.

However, you may try different combinations of the Use native object names for TestComplete object names and Use short names when possible settings to alter the addressing models.

Besides that, if a metadata name is accessible as one of the object's properties, you can use this name as the search criteria. See Searching for an Object.
    seenarg
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

Using native object names is already checked in project property settings for my project.

Also the issue I face is that the name for the metadata is not identified though a name is specified.

Instead of name,the testcomplete is taking title as recognition string for the metadata.
    ArtemS
    Hi,

Possibly, you can retrieve some of the metadata through Microsoft Active Accessibility.

To be more precise, I need to know more about your application: its type (desktop/web), the platform and technology it is build with (.NET, WPF, Java, etc.) and other details.
    seenarg
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

The application is .Net WPF desktop application.

Regards,

Seena
    ArtemS
    Hi,

Certain objects, methods, properties and fields can be inaccessible to TestComplete for a variety of reasons. See the Object Properties, Fields and Methods That Are Unavailable to TestComplete topic for details.

Another reason, which is typical for WPF applications, is that the Dialog.Metadata object could be a composite control. Try exposing it as a composite WPF object as it is described in the Support for Composite WPF Controls help topic.

Regards.