Forum Discussion

DarkShadows
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

How to find the unique property of the element when there is no header available on the web page.

Hello Team,

I need your help on this how should i find an element who does not have a header at all on the web application.

Currently our internal web application does not have headers and using object spy i'm not able to find contenttext, idstr for it

so what could you be avaialble options for me to find such element on the web application

kind regards

Amit

• Hi,

I am not sure what header you are talking about, but the absence of unique and stable web element identifiers is a perfect indication of the application that was designed without any consideration of its automated testability. (And an indication of poor QA activities.)

Unfortunately, there is no common recipe for this situation. You need to investigate the application using Object Browser and find a combination of properties that will allow you to identify required web element. It may happen that such combination is absent. In this case you may try to look for some parent container or sibling element that can be identified and then use this supplemental object as a reference root to help you to find the object you are looking for.

1 Reply

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I am not sure what header you are talking about, but the absence of unique and stable web element identifiers is a perfect indication of the application that was designed without any consideration of its automated testability. (And an indication of poor QA activities.)

Unfortunately, there is no common recipe for this situation. You need to investigate the application using Object Browser and find a combination of properties that will allow you to identify required web element. It may happen that such combination is absent. In this case you may try to look for some parent container or sibling element that can be identified and then use this supplemental object as a reference root to help you to find the object you are looking for.