Forum Discussion

mazhar555
Contributor
14 years ago

How to convert a string to a Object

Hi, i am trying to get an object from excel sheet, obvoiusly it will return a string value, now i want to convert it into Object so that i can use it in my script. is there any way to do so?

8 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Muhammad,

You should use either Eval() (for VBScript and, possibly, for JScript/C#Script/C++Script) or evaluate() (for DelphiScript) function provided by the corresponding scripting language that you are using for the tests. See the documentation for the scripting language for more details. (Note: C#Script and C++Script are actually JScript with modified syntax, so you should read JScript documentation is you use any of these languages.)

For the VBScript the code will be like this:

strObject = "Sys.Process(""Notepad"")"

Set obj = Eval(strObject)

For DelphiScript the code will be like this:

strObject := 'Sys.Process(''Notepad'')'

obj := evaluate(strObject)
      adithyasekar
      Occasional Contributor

How should we achieve the same using python in Testcomplete. I understand evaluate() and Eval() can be used for jscript and delphy.

Can somebody please help on this. its an urgent requirement. 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Quick google search found that Python supports an "eval()" method as well.  have you tried that?

• Thanks, i am using VB Script and new to automation. What if i want to do the same in KeywordTest?
  • Hi Team,

I want to set_color of a object. I have to convert the hex color pattern (Ex: "000080") to object to pass it as a parammeter to PathOfObject.set_SelectedColor(). Please help me to do this conversion in Vb Scripting.

Note:  PathOfObject.set_SelectedColor "#000080" 

It shows the following error if I run the above line of code.

Object of type "System.String" cannot be converted to type of "System.Windows.media.Color type"