cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find an Object if there's scroll bar involved? And how to Drag and Drop them?

SOLVED
Contributor

How do I find an Object if there's scroll bar involved? And how to Drag and Drop them?

Hi All, 

I ran into some issues today. 

So assuming the object can be everywhere, it can also be on the next half of the screen and you can only see it when you scroll down. How do I find such object and Drag and Drop it to another object that might be on the other half of the screen? Thank you very much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Hero

Re: How do I find an Object if there's scroll bar involved? And how to Drag and Drop them?

Hi,

To display the web element that is out of the visible web page borders you may use the ScrollIntoView() native web function.

E.g.:

oControl.ScrollIntoView(false)

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Contributor

Re: How do I find an Object if there's scroll bar involved? And how to Drag and Drop them?

So in order to achive that, I replaced .Drag, Please see the code below:

function DragToObject(source, destination)
{
sDelay = 1000;
source.ScrollIntoView(false);
var point1 = source.WindowToScreen(source.Width/2, source.Height/2);
LLPlayer.MouseDown(MK_LBUTTON, point1.X, point1.Y, sDelay);

destination.ScrollIntoView(false);
var point2 = destination.WindowToScreen(destination.Width/2, destination.Height/2);
LLPlayer.MouseMove(point2.X, point2.Y, sDelay);
LLPlayer.MouseUp(MK_LBUTTON, point2.X, point2.Y, sDelay);

}

This works for me. Thank you all for being so nice and kind Smiley Happy

13 REPLIES 13
Community Hero

Hi,

To display the web element that is out of the visible web page borders you may use the ScrollIntoView() native web function.

E.g.:

oControl.ScrollIntoView(false)

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
Contributor

Hi Alex,

I am not quite following. If this object can only be found when it's on the page, How can you use oControl.ScrollIntoView(false) when it's not found?

Highlighted
Community Hero

It's only not visible on screen.

If it's on the page, but out of view, ScrollIntoView, should scroll automatically until the object is visible and usable. I use it frequently.

If that doesn't work, and you're able to map/control the scroll bars, your other option is to use the scrollbar in a loop.

eg:

Loop

>>> Is object visible?

>>> No? .... scroll

>>> Yes? .... end Loop

Type thing.

Contributor

But Drag and Drop is still not working. .

Community Hero

The more details, the more chances to get a reply that might help...

What exactly does not work?

Is the source object visible on the screen?

Is the target object visible on the screen at the same time?

Does the code properly selects/clicks the source object?

Is the drag operation performed at correct direction and for the correct distance?

Is the dragged object dropped at the correct location?

Any related errors / warnings in the test log?

The actual code that performs drag and drop operation?

Any screenshot that might help?

Any other details that might help?

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
Contributor

It only works when the source object and target object are both visible on the screen. But if for example, if you can only see source object on the screen and then u have to use scroll bar to find the target object, in this case, the drag and drop function can not work. I remember reading it from some other forum that I have to use the scroll bar location to calculate the drag route.. But I really don't recall the details.. 

Community Hero

Hi,

Well, in this case the regular .Drag() method will not work, indeed, because it uses the initial coordinates and the distance (direction) to drag to.

If you *really* need to drag to the objects that are out of page view (and maximizing browser's window does not make both objects visible), than you will have to implement drag procedure yourself. Something like (untested pseudo-code off-top of my head):

-- Put the source object into view;

-- Hover the mouse over it and press the left mouse button (use LLPlayer object for this and subsequent mouse operations));

-- Determine where the target object is located relative to the source one;

-- Perform a drag to the end of the web page in the direction of the target object;

-- Drag slightly over the page borders for some time period (e.g. for a second or two) to initialize page scrolling and drag back into the page to stop scrolling;

-- Check if the target object is visible (was moved into view) on the page; repeat the above step until the target object is visible;

-- Drag mouse over the target object and release left mouse button.

But I would wonder if I really need this? Am I testing how the drag and drop for the given functional area works in my tested application or do I test how the scrolling functionality works in the browser? Maybe it is possible to change the test or negotiate with developers so that both objects are visible on the (maximized) page?

In the worst case, maybe it is acceptable to have all other tests to be automated and leave this one for the manual verification when the manual testers will have to check the only thing: how drag and drop works if dragging to the object that initially is out of web page view?

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
Contributor

The reason of implementing automation was that Drag and Drop takes up 40% of my regression time.  And it's the pain during regression, even if I spend 40% of my time manually doing that, the coverage is still low. So it would be nice to have this . But if this also takes too much effort, then I might have to limit the data entry, so it would not be that many data , it would not have a scroll bar... Thank for explaining this to me. Smiley Tongue

Contributor

Or is it possible to calculate the scroll bar location, so when I start drag and drop, I should be able to move backward the scroll bar according to the location, so I would not have to use a loop a check the target object everytime when I scroll back a little?I remember reading it from some javascript forum, there's a way to calculate the scroll bar location when performing drag and drop

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Join the September Hub-bub to show off, learn and win