Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Google Dart working in place of JScript?

I am not too familiar with Google Dart but am interested in learning more of the features it has to offer.  I have been writing test scripts using JScript for functional testing in TestComplete and would like to know if it would be possible to use Google Dart in place of JScript or if anyone is already doing this?

It seems as though Google Dart is more structured by giving the user the option for writing strongly typed scripts and providing additional objects for flexability and ease of use.  I know that sometimes with simple errors in JScript by either not using the correct paramaters, misunderstanding a variable or other errors can be time consuming to debug and not very "clean" code.  Since Google Dart is very similar to the JScript language it would be a convenient choice to switch to if possible.

To conclude I'm really just looking for an alternative, whether it be another language or not, to have a more structured test suite to spend less time debugging changes/updates to tests.  I know you can do some type checking on paramaters but I am unclear if you can define a variable type.

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    TestComplete has languages that it supports because of the script engines built into it.  Google Dart is, currently, not one of them.  This does not mean it won't be, some day, perhaps... but right now, TestComplete does not support it as a scripting engine.

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert

Hi, I had a quick look at this and it appears to be a weird mash up of JavaScript and Java that is web centric and compiles to JavaScript.

It really comes across as a language for Java developers who don't have the time to learn, or can't handle, JavaScript and JQuery.

In my opinion, more benefit would be gained from extending the CLR and Java bridges to integrate C# and Java into Test Complete than implementing support for a JavaScript/Java hybrid.

Regards,

Phil Baird

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Chad,

I've created a suggestion to add the support for this language to TestComplete based on your question.

Guys, is there anyone who uses this new language? Did you find a way to make TestComplete work with it?