Forum Discussion

ashwilavinash
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Execution failed when Local Computer locked

Hi,
Is there a way to continue execution when Remote Desktop is active and local machine is locked

8 Replies

• One way we got around this was using VNC to remote into our test lab machines and kick off the tests.  The VNC services would keep the remote UI active for us while we were disconnected.  We did find it to be a little slower to interact with the desktop, but it didn't seem to slow the tests down.

nisgupta
      Valued Contributor

will_fetherolf 

Is VNC viewer is worth to try ? as we are running Testcomplete tests on TestExecute remote machine and our tests are failing - firefox errors when we disconnect from remote desktop. They pass when we remain connected . 

will_fetherolf
        Contributor

Unless Microsoft has modified the way Remote Desktop works, last time I checked if you're using Remote Desktop to access a system you can't establish ANOTHER Remote Desktop connection to ANOTHER machine.  Which means you can't Remote Desktop into MachineC from MachineB when you're already using Remote Desktop to connect to MachineB from MachineA.

That being said, the ONLY way I've been able to remotely execute tests is to use some kind of VNC solution to remotely access my test machines.  I'm not going to recommend a specificVNC solution at this time.  I think I was using RealVNC when I had to do it.  You'll have to install a VNC server on the test machines, and use a VNC Viewer on the originating machine.

ashwilavinash
    Occasional Contributor

There is one more thing I have noticed,

1) The execution is running seamlessly when the local machine is Windows 7, but if the local machine is Windows 10 and if we lock it, all our test cases are getting failed after the timeout delay

Note: Remote machine was Windows 10 in both the above cases

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Hi,

A workaround that works sometimes is to open remote session (B) within another remote session (A) running on your local machine. Quite often session B is not getting locked when the local machine is locked.

nisgupta
      Valued Contributor

ashwilavinash 

Are you able to run the tests on remote machine while it is disconnected ? 

please update 

kaiiii
    Regular Contributor
    <p>What OS you are using out of&nbsp; remote access ?? that would be help for better reply.<br>Any way 1st go for it:</p>
    <p>1) Go to the System settings<br>2) Brighteness &amp; Lock&nbsp;</p>
    <p>3) turn screen off when inactive for&nbsp; =&gt; Never<br><br>Do this chnages and pls reply</p>