Forum Discussion

Stevan
Contributor
4 years ago

Exception Error

I am recording a web test and in the field I type in a keyword and a drop down appears and I select what I want to use.  Every time I try to run back the test I keep getting exception error when I get to this point. The error does not give me much explanation.  Can anyone help me understand why it keeps erroring out?

Example - I type in the field "Smith" and a drop down appears with all the names that start with smith.

16 Replies

• can you post screenshots of your test script, test logs, and the details tab.

or better yet, export your test log as mht and attach it to this thread.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

What is strange for me on the screenshot of the test that you provided earlier, is that the click on drop-down was recorded as a click on the panelPanelPanelBold object that is a child of the browser object but not a child of the web page.

Can you provide how the panelPanelPanelBold object is identified?

Also I would recommend to investigate the drop-down window using the Object Spy and verify that test attempts to click correct object.

Stevan
      Contributor

It does not allow me to attach MHT Files

hkim5
        Staff

can you show us the details tab of that specific test step

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I type in a keyword and a drop down appears

Does it take some time for this drop-down to appear?

Try to add the Delay operation (say, for 1 or 2 seconds) before clicking in the drop-down. Does this help?

P.S.

I am recording a web test

For more accurate recording, while recording you actions I would recommend to wait until the proper object's name is reflected in the recording window and only then continue with the action (click, text enter, etc.).