Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Disappear WinFormsObject() in Object Browser by MS Windows Security Updates

Hi!

I used TC 7.5.2 on Windows 7 and by the following two MS Windows Security Update patches  (KB958488 and KB979900), in the Object Browser disappeared WinFormsObject() style object names and replaced by  Window(...) like ones.

I removed these two patches and the Object Browser showed the original WinFormsObject() style object names.

On Windows XP SP2 the symptom was the same.

I hope it's useful info.

6 Replies

• Hi Attila,

Most likely, you've faced a known issue. Please contact us directly via the Contact Support web form - we'll provide you with a fix to the problem. In your message, please specify which edition of the product you are using (Standard, Enterprise or demo).
  • Atilla - you are not alone. We just had the exact same problem with Windows Updates and are in the process of having to roll them back. We are using TestComplete 7.52.678.5.

I will be reporting the same thing through the support link above.

SUPPORT REQUEST FOR AUTOMATEDQA: If this is a known issue, please also post the solution here in this forum. It will save many users the hassle of having to go through support and wait for an answer.  Thank you.

• Hi Chuck,

As I already said in my previous post, the issue is known and can be resolved by applying the fix that should be requested via the Contact Support web form. As far as I know, Tanya has already provided you with a fix. If you need anymore assistance, please continue investigations with her.
  • After submitting my request through the web form, I was provided with a replacement .dll and instructions on where to put it. After overwriting the old .dll, the problem was resolved.

Thank you.
    loctitekid
    Occasional Contributor
    I am about to install the hot fix for this issue. I have a question:

Is the patch backward compatible? I mean, if I have not installed the Windows fixes that trigger the problem, is it still OK to install the hot fix?

The reason for my question: I maintain a framework for several customers in different areas of the world. I cannot guarantee that all cuatomers will, or will not, install the Windows fixes. I would prefer to make a single recommendation for all, rather than a conditional one. Not all installers of my framework will know if the Windows fixes are installed, and fixes may or may not be installed after my framework.

• Hi Neil,

The fix will work in the situation you've described. So, you can give the patch to your customers and not bother whether they've installed any Windows/.NET updates or not.

If you face any issues with this, please submit us a request via the Contact Support web form.