Forum Discussion

CHolman
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Cannot run keyword tests in sequence 'New instances will not be launched?'

I've got a bunch of keyword tests which; load IE, carry out a test, then close down IE..

When i run these individually they work fine, but when adding them to a folder inside test items the first one runs correctly, then the second fails and gives this error:

There is (are) 1 running instance(s) of "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe". New instances will not be launched. 14:01:18 Highest

For some reason IE doesn't seem to be shutting down correctly, is there a way to force shut IE after my test has finished? I've used the 'BrowserWindow Close' command - but don't look like its working! :( 

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Best bet is, at the end of a test case, do a check to see if Process('iexplore') exists (use WaitProcess for this). If it does, call the Terminate method.  Then check again... do so until all the processes are killed.

CHolman
    Occasional Contributor

So i've actually got around this problem by creating a separate keyword test which opens command prompt and issues this command: taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe /T

I run that after each of my tests and the next one loads correctly. Cheers for your help.