Forum Discussion

paul_grizzaffi
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Can't catch Error thrown from a method in a different file

Hello,

Using JScript, I'm throwing an Error from a method (i.e. function on an object) ; the call to this method and the try/catch are in a different file. When the Error is thrown, it is not caught by the try/catch, instead it behaves like an unhandled Error and opens a TestComplete "Microsoft JScript Runtime Error" dialog.

Interesting to note, the code DOES catch the Error if all code resides in the same file.

Am I going about this correctly? Is this a limitation/bug/etc. I need to work around? Any guidance is appreciated.

Code is below.

Thanks!!!!

Paul

------

This code lives in file named MyScript:

//USEUNIT MyOtherFile

function main() {

try {

Obj.thisMethodThrows();

} catch (e) {

Log.Message("caught my error");

}

}

This code lives in file named MyOtherFile:

Obj = {

thisMethodThrows: function() {

throw new Error("here's an error");

}

}

4 Replies

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert

Hi Paul you are correct in this is a limitation in that Exceptions can only be caught cross Script Unit if the function is at Script Level

For example, if Unit1 contains

function scriptUnitLevel() {

// This exception can be caught

throw "Exception";

}

var exObject = (function(){

return {

objectLevel: function() {

// This exception cannot be caught

throw "Exception";

}

};

})();

then only the Exception thrown in the function scriptUnitLevel() can be caught in another Script Unit.

The work around I use is to have the object functions return Exceptions instead of throwing them and performing type checks on the caller to determine if an Exception was thrown.

I briefly outline my approach here

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert

Hi Paul you are correct in this is a limitation in that Exceptions can only be caught cross Script Unit if the function is at Script Unit level

For example, if Unit1 contains

function scriptUnitLevel() {

// This exception can be caught

throw "Exception";

}

var exObject = (function(){

return {

objectLevel: function() {

// This exception cannot be caught

throw "Exception";

}

};

})();

then only the Exception thrown in the function scriptUnitLevel() can be caught in another Script Unit.

The work around I use is to have the object functions return Exceptions instead of throwing them and performing type checks on the caller to determine if an Exception was thrown.

I briefly outline my approach here

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Appologies for the apparant double post, the forum appears to have created a new post for my edit as opposed to editing the original
    paul_grizzaffi
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for your quick response.

This is extremely unfortunate; I'd missed this particular note when I originally read the "Specifics of Usage" info. Between this issue and the lack of Intellisense/code-completion, TestComplete's lack of support for user-defined objects is hindering my ability to create a future-proofed framework inside of the tool.