Forum Discussion

bradleyfutter
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Can NameMapping be switched off

Hi there,

Can NameMapping be switched off? If it can, how can I disable it? I find it to be more of a hassle than its worth!!

Thanks,

Brad

5 Replies

• Hi Bradley,

The "Map object names automatically" option can be turned off from the "Name Mapping Options" dialog. See the "Name Mapping Options Dialog" help topic for more information. However, if a name mapping scheme is already created, TestComplete will use mapped names for the objects over which actions are performed during the recording. In this case, you need to delete the scheme: you can either clear the contents of the Mapped Objects and Aliases panes from the Name Mapping editor or just delete the NameMapping project item.

Could you please explain exactly what problem makes you want to disable this feature?
    bradleyfutter
    Occasional Contributor
    I just find that TestCompletes way of creating namemapping is not consistent which makes trying to understand what namemapping it has created a little difficult.

In some instances the name mapping does not work at all. If i record a mouse click (with name mapping) and play back it sometimes does not work, it struggles to find the object. However if i go and then manually enter the mouse click but this time using its full proper name and then play back, it then works?

The only problem is now i have half my project with namemapping and dont want to re-referrence it all. However I would like to from now on, not use it... So if possible, for testcomplete to keep using the namedmapping where defined, but from this point onwards, to not record and use anymore.
  • Hi Bradley,

In some instances the name mapping does not work at all. If i record a mouse click (with name mapping) and play back it sometimes does not work, it struggles to find the object.

Please zip your entire project suite folder along with the log of the failed test execution and send me the archive via our Contact Support form. I will look into it and suggest possible changes.

The only problem is now i have half my project with namemapping and dont want to re-referrence it all. However I would like to from now on, not use it... So if possible, for testcomplete to keep using the namedmapping where defined, but from this point onwards, to not record and use anymore.

Disable the "Map object names automatically" option, and TestComplete will use full object names during the recording. However, if you perform actions over objects that have been already mapped, TestComplete will use their mapped names unless you delete the objects from your current Name Mapping scheme.

bradleyfutter
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

I can zip the project up and send it in, but the web site it interacts with is not external facing? So not sure how much it would help, or is the code itself enough?

Thanks,

Brad

• Hi Bradley,

Most probably, it won't be necessary to have access to your tested application to make the needed changes so your project can run successfully. We need to see the project settings, the Name Mapping tree and the log of the failed test execution.