cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“An exception occurred while the element specified in the test item was being executed"

Community Hero

Re: “An exception occurred while the element specified in the test item was being executed"

What @Marsha_R said...

...this still could potentially not be the case but it's starting to sound like it.  We had problems at another company a few years ago with test scenarios seemingly failing with no rational explanation and no helpful exception language in the logs.  So, this is worth investigating.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Community Leader

Re: “An exception occurred while the element specified in the test item was being executed"

This pseudo code might help identify if it is connections related

For DDT:

function OpenDriverObjectNoDisconnect(filename)
{
driverObj = DDT.CSVDriver(filename);
while(!driverObj.EOF())
{
//Do Stuff
driverObj.Next();
}

}

function OpenDriverObjectWithDisconnect(filename)
{
driverObj = DDT.CSVDriver(filename);
while(!driverObj.EOF())
{
//Do Stuff
driverObj.Next();
}
//This is the important one:
DDT.CloseDriver(driverObj.Name);
}

function Test()
{
for(vari=0;i<=100;i++)
{
 OpenDriverObjectWithDisconnect(yourfilename); //Shouldn't error
}

for(var i=0I;i<=100;i++)
{
 OpenDriverObjectNoDisconnect(yourfilename); //May error then you know it's connection related}
}

ADO equivalent:

function OpenConnection(DNSName, UserID, UserPassword)
{
  try
  {

aCon = ADO.CreateConnection();
      // Sets up the connection parameters
      aCon.ConnectionString = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;" + "Data Source=" + DNSName +"; User ID=" + UserID + "; Password=" + UserPassword + ";";
      // Opens the connection
      aCon.Open();
      Common.LogMessageVerbose("Connection Opened");      
return aCon;
  }
  catch(e)
  {
    //Error handling
return null;  }
}

function CloseConnection(connection)
{
  try
  {   
    if(connection != null && connection.State != 0)
{ connection.Close(); Common.LogMessageVerbose("Connection Closed");
} return true; } catch(e) { return false; } } function Test() { for(var i=0;i<=100;i++) { connectionObj = OpenConnection(DNSName, UserID, UserPassword); CloseConnection(connectionObj ); //This should work } for(var i=0;i<=100;i++) { connectionObj = OpenConnection(DNSName, UserID, UserPassword); //If this fails, it's connection related} } }

-------------------------------------------------
Standard syntax disclaimers apply
Regards,
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions. 

Looking at the code more carefully. I noticed that the connections are being closed after each test runs. 

I forgot that we also have connection to Excel and the code is closing both CSV and Excel connection after each test run through:

1.  excelObj.Quit(); // Excel Object

2.  Project.Variables.testCycleDetailsFile.Disconnect(); // this is the CSV file which has been declared as a project variables of DB table type. 

Looks like im back to square one. 

The issue is still intermittent where I ran 10 tests today. The same issue happened on scenario 6. 

I ran the same 10 again and all tests have passed successfully. 

Community Hero

Well now we might hunt for the ever elusive Timing Error.

Just as a test, change the Delay between events, ms setting in here

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/managing-projects/properties/playback.h...

to something longer than what you have now, maybe 5 or 10 times the current setting.  This isn't what you'll want to run at normally, but if you can get through several executions at a slower speed without seeing the exception, then it's a clue.  

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Watch the new Interview