Forum Discussion

Stephane
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

“An exception occurred while the element specified in the test item was being executed"

Hi,

I am currently lost as Testcomplete is not showing me where the error is happening. 

The error (Please see attached) is happening intermittently. 

The 'Execute Tests' test item is where all my code is. There are a bunch of reusable codes which are driven depending on the data being picked up. 

Can someone please point me in the right direction? 

Thanks,

Stephane

13 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

The error is rather non-specific.  So, without more knowledge of what the code being executed consists of, could be hard to debug.  Is it possible for you to share what code is being executed by that test item?  It sounds like there is some sort of exception that is occurring in attempting to execute that code initially and, because it's in a Test Item, there might not be exception handling around it.

Stephane
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert, 

It will be difficult to share the code and this is why it is the issue as well. 

That 'Execute Test' test item is the main script which calls functions from another 10 test items.

Any other options?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Not really... an exception occurred... without knowing the code, there's no real way of letting you know what to look out with any level of accuracy.

So... things to watch for as non-specific items:

1) Check parameters and make sure that anything that is a "required" parmetre for a function/method actually has proper values

2) Variable names/method names -> If there were any recent edits, make sure that anything renamed has been properly renamed globally

3) Try wrapping your entire method being called by "Execute Tests" in appropriate try/catch/finally logic to trap the EXACT exception and write it out to the log.  This might give you insight as to what specific items to look at.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Stephane,

One more thing: attached error is a message from TestExecute itself. What is the error posted to the test log? (The contents of both, error message and extended info pane is relevant.)

Stephane
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions. 

The Test Execute test item is the full regression pack which takes 2 hour to run, mostly because the scenarios are data driven but it will be impossible for me to put the code on the forum. 

I tried to add breakpoints and ran the full regression pack but this did not turn out well. 

• The error happened on Scenario 22 but when I run scenario 22 on its own, the test passed. 
      • I ran the remaining tests where i got the error on scenario 34. I ran 34 and 35 and as expected the tests passed again. 
      • I checked the logs which does not show anything. I can see only the actions that test complete performed and the logs just stopped there without any error/details. 

Any other suggestion I should be considering? 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Are you using a data driver to drive all your scenarios?  If so, and it's a CSV driver, you could have connection issues.  The JET database engine behind the CSV driver has a maximum of 65 connections it can have open at a time.  If it's always failing at certain scenarios, that seems to be where I'd look... make sure that you're closing connections no longer needed, freeing up objects, etc.