Sven-Seyfert
Occasional Visitor
7 years ago
New Idea

Integration/support of AutoIt in TestComplete/TestExecute as new script language

Hi,

AutoIt (*.au3) is a very useful way to automated almost all requirements for windows applications and browser like FF. It would be smart and pretty handy if the possibilities of the open source script language AutoIt will be a part of TestComplete/TestExecute as a new language support.

I use this language since many years and it would be a great extension for TestComplete.
All about it and for a way to embed: www.autoitscript.com .

Thanks
Sven Seyfert

8 Comments

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

From what I see of AutoIt, it is basically VBScript with some extra objects and methods for interacting with the UI.  If you're familiar with AutoIt, have you tried the VBScript language in TestComplete?  I really don't see, in the brief bit I'm looking at, much difference between the AU3 files and syntax and a TestComplete VBScript unit.

Sven-Seyfert
    Occasional Visitor
    Hi tristaanogre, yes AutoIt is relative similar to VBScript. Btw: It's also a mix of PHP syntax. But it's more comfortable and it's comes with some pretty good UDFs (User Defined Functions). These "libraries" are very helpful a you can save a lot of time. VBScript isn't as good as AutoIt. Just for a quick overview look at the possibilites at: https://github.com/J2TeaM/awesome-AutoIt . Thanks for your comment and interest tristaanogre.
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Actually, I don't have interest in AutoIt... Just noting that AutoIt has built into it already many of the features and such that TestComplete already has (I've browsed the AutoIt site).  AutoIt, as I understand it, is not so much a language as a tool in and of itself, almost a direct competitor to TestComplete.  So... it doesn't seem to be within the best business interests of SmartBear to promote AutoIt... would be a conflict of interest....  

Sven-Seyfert
    Occasional Visitor
    Additionaly I have to say yes, I have tried VBScript in TestComplete. Currently I use this as a calling method to some AutoIt scripts. Because VBScript often doesn't provide what I need for automation.
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

If VBScript doesn't fit the need, try Python or JavaScript.  Both these are well developed scripting languages and, combined with the many built in objects in TestComplete, you can do pretty much anything.

Sven-Seyfert
    Occasional Visitor
    That's a good point tristaanogre. May be it's possible to combine some technologies and testing tools. Because we don't use just one tool for our QA requirement, we follow the the approach of "best bread" in development and quality assurance. But still the competitor point is right.
    Sven-Seyfert
    Occasional Visitor
    I would like, but from company view, Pyhton is unfortunately no option. Privatly I use Python since two year and I love it. But so what - companies ;) .
    sakshi29
    New Contributor
    Can you please let me know how can we integrate AutoIT with TestComplete