FaC
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
New Idea

Import several export log in TestComplete automatically or manually to a project

Hi,

I export several log files from testexecute in .tcLogX, to be read in testcomplete.
It would be very handy to import in testcomplete several log files in the same time, manually or automatically.
(Instead of doing manually (in testcomplete): right click on the project suite log -> add -> existing log files for each log file.)
Manually, it could be a commande: add -> existing log folder ?
Automatically, it could be a commande line to export directly to a project (in order to to find the logs already added to the project, when the project is open in testcomplete)

Thank you.

7 Comments

• Are you looking for a code similar to this?

Dim Logs
      ' Obtains the object that holds the list of project logs
      Set Logs = Project.Logs

Count = Logs.LogItemsCount
      ' Iterates through the list of project logs
      For i = 0 To Count - 1
       Logs.LogItem(i).SaveResultsAs("C:\Work\Log\Project1\", lsHTML, true, 1) ' Files are created in the Project1 folder

Next

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

rajulapati The request is the opposite, as I read it... there's already a list of .tclog files out there that they want to mass import into a project.

• Inthat case we can run this script in TestExecute and keep destination folder as Test Complete Project Log folder

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

That still won't work.  Putting the logs in the project log folder just sets the files in place.  It doesn't link the .tcLog files into the project MDS itself.  So... still no go.

FaC
    Occasional Contributor

Hi,

unfortunately tristaanogre is right: I have made manually the test (copy the .tcLog files into the project MDS) -> the .tcLog files are not linked to the project and do not appear on it when I open the project :-( ).

So, by pending an hypothetical enhancement of testcomplete, maybe I could work differently, i.e currently I used TestExecute to run test and generate nearly 10 logs.

At the beginning, I analyzed the log generated by testexecute in .html format.

Then I found that it was more handly to analyse the logs in testcomplete due to the possibility to go/jump from a warning or error to the following (warning or error): it save me time.

So, guys with your large experience of testcomplete/testexecute tools, would you work or do you work like me? How do you analyze you logs files (with testcomplete/testexecute or another smartbear tools) ?

So, guys, with you large experience of testcomplete/testexecute tools, would you work or do you work like me? How do you analyze you logs files (with testcomplete/testexecute or another smartbear tools) ?

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I prefer to analyze the logs directly in TestComplete as well and would do as you do.  I bring the logs over to my instance of TestComplete and open them in the project there for viewing.  What I've done in the past is that the remote machines running TestExecute I set them up so that I have remote access to the hard drive folder where the log resides and add them directly from there rather than copying the files around but that has it's own drawbacks.