henrystaples
Occasional Visitor
6 years ago
New Idea

Extending Web Accessibility for additional 508 checks

Is there any known way to run extensive 508 / Web Accessibility checking within a TestComplete test script? There are some limited img alt check options, but 508 needs much more extensive checks e.g. aria attributes, scope=column / row sorts of checks. Has anyone implemented anything that is similar, that can scan a page and determine if there's anything 508 non-compliant? 

5 Comments

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

This is not a feature request.  Please repost this in the actual web testing forum for TestComplete.

henrystaples
    Occasional Visitor

When I asked SmartBear support the same question earlier, I was told, essentially, yes web accessibility is limited and to log a feature request, so here I am. I can reword to make it more sound more like something new to add to TestComplete if you would like.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, as it's worded, it sounds less like "Hey, it would be nice if TestComplete had X feature" and more like "Hey, I need help using TestComplete to do task Y"

henrystaples
    Occasional Visitor

In TestComplete, there are existing Web Accessibility Checkpoint items. However, they are just a start to what should be checked for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. This request is to expand the Web Accessibility Checkpoints to include many additional items that should be checked within a web page (e.g. aria attributes, table cell scope, reading contrast, etc). For what could be checked, please review Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and in particular the WCAG 2.1 specification. That's a pretty big document and many things could be implemented. In the event that it's out-of-scope to try and implement a web accessibility checker within the TestComplete tool, consider providing support for external tools (e.g. pa11y) that can be called from TestComplete. As we have our application's functionality exercised in TestComplete scripts, we would like TestComplete to drive the test script and either have a Web Accessibility tool be part of TestComplete, or allow it be called from within TestComplete. SmartBear suppot has suggested that we could code the checks ourselves in Javascript or write an extension using the SDK but both of those are well out-of-scope for what we can support on our projects. 

Existing Web Accessibility elements