shankar_r
Community Hero
8 years ago
New Idea

Adding Project Test Item(s) @ Run Time thru scripts

Problem:

I have created customized data-driven automation framework. I am running the test cases based on the excel input. After completion of all my test cases for the particular run, Logs are consolidated in a single test item since only one driver function we are calling.

Solution:

If the Project/ProjectSuite test item(s) can be added in the Run Time. The script will create a new Test Item for each test case and Logs also will consolidate correctly for each test case.

In simple words, Please make Project/ProjectSuite Test Items can add at Run Time thru scripts.

6 Comments

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Rather than creating project items for each test case, build into your framework log folders using Log.AppendFolder, Log.PopFolder, Log.PushFolder, etc. These should create "nodes" within your test log that separate all your tests.
    shankar_r
    Community Hero

Currently I am doing the same way.But when it comes to Summary Log it will say only one project item has been executed.

For Ex: I am running 10 cases, In that 5 cases failed and 5 passed then summary will have only one Project Item.

What i am expecting is for each test case if i create project item then summary will be displayed with number test cases count as project test item. In current method if i send the report to my client they are getting confused on how many test cases passed, failed and etc.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I think the confusion is that, depending upon your project architecture, a project test item isn't necessarily the same as a test case. So, while only one Project Test Item is showed with a result, that doesn't necessarily have to equate to a test case. This might simply be a matter of educating the client as to how to interpret the log, to show them how the log is broken down into test cases.

shankar_r
    Community Hero

I got that. I was involved in Test Complete and Jenkins configuration, there based on the above scenario It will display as only one Item. We can't get exact count thru the Jenkins or the test agents.

Sorry, I'm confusing you i guess

shankar_r
    Community Hero

We have created framework which will take care of all the reporting and stuffs, our headache went away couple of months back