Novari-QA
Frequent Contributor
6 years ago
New Idea

Ability to map multiple objects without actions for a test

Currently the "quick" way for me to map multiple actions is to create a record script or keyword test. However, it also will record the actions and 99% of the time i just delete the test.  

If i want to map an object from my website to testComplete, i have to click on the "Map Object from Screen" button.  This will then bring up a new window that allows me to decide how i want to select the object. I drag the target to the point to the object and have name mapping feature try to find the object.  I then can say "map the obj as _____"  or choose a name and properties manually.  Perform that step and rinse and repeat. over and over and over and over again until i mapp all the objects I want.  

I would find it useful to allow the user to map multiple objects and have them go through a list of objects that need mapping. If it runs into an object that is already mapped just skip or inform the user. 

2 Comments

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

If you start with the object farthest down on the tree, then TestComplete will come up with a list of all the objects above it that need to be mapped as well.  You can either take the default mapping for all of them, or click through a wizard and it will show you each one and you can accept it or edit it.   That saves you from having to map each one separately.  

I do that and if I know the objects are pretty standard, then I'll just take the default mapping for all of them and either go back and edit a few separately or wait till I'm actually writing the test and fix the ones that fail.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

You can also right click on any object in your namemapping tree and select "Map Child Objects" and it will map everything one level down.