ashishnagpal26
Contributor
8 years ago
New Idea

A compare tool like beyond compare for Keyword Tests

Hi , 

I wanted to suggest a feature where-in we could compare Keyword Tests without its xml structure but its actual Keyword content . This really helps the engineers to  refer old project files and see the changes and most of all it helps the integrator to understand the changes gone through . 

More like a beyond compare tool where-in you can even make changes if required. 

Thanks ,

Ashish

7 Comments

• As per my knowledge ,u can compare Project.mds file for comparsion..it will holds all details

Regards,

Karthick Raj P

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

karthick7... comparing the MDS file is not what the original post is about. The MDS file does not contain any of the details about what steps are being executed in a keyword test.

ashishnagpal26, I'd like this feature, too.  I have no problems reading XML and checking for differences... but then, as you said, not everyone is versed in reading these kinds of files.

+1 from me.

• tristaanogrei guess we can see the difference like new variables addition ,testapps

we can guess that project suite is modified from old one.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

But that's not what's being asked.  Consider a Keyword test that looks like this:

Now, someone comes in and changes it to add a new step

Someone then wants to compare the two tests and see what changed.  Right now, any tool out there will look at the XML strcuture of the tcKDT file and show the differences there.  That's fine if you can read and parse XML.  But what would be COOL is some sort of keyword test comparison tool which would highlight the specific changes as they show up in TestComplete without having to parse the XML.

In these examples, it's not the project or the project suite that has changed, but the keyword test.  Comparing the MDS or PJS file doesn't really work in this case.  And, for that matter, the idea is to avoid having to look at the XML but to look at something more visually analogous to what shows up in TestComplete.  Perhaps the end result of the comparison tool would look something like this, highlighting where the differences are, green for add, red for removed sort of thing:

•  tristaanogre that's spot on how you represented it in the snapshots Absolutely perfect . 

Can you also tell me how does this work I mean you have given +1 and now how does this thing proceed.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Well, pretty much this feature forum is monitored by folks like TanyaYatskovska DanaRogo so, if it gets enough votes or if it seems to be something folks want, it will be processed accordingly.

I wonder... I'm not well versed enough to do so, but I wonder if someone else could write some sort of bit of code that does this.  Pretty much, they would have to parse the XML of the keyword test and reinterpret that into the same visual representation.  It can be done, I'm sure.... I'm just not the one to do it. :)