Forum Discussion

marwen
New Contributor
9 years ago

message error in database table checkpoint:Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status

I couldn't connect to the database using database checkpoint.The following error message is displayed:Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status.

Has anyone else encountered the same or similar issue?

2 Replies

• Sorry, somehow I posted my answer 5 times...

Ok, sorry again. I guess I know the mechanism now ...

==============================================

Hello,

I had the same problem and managed to solve it. I provide my way in solving this issue
    since TanyaGorbunova's answer is not very detailed.

I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine with Oracle 11g XE 32 bit and TestComplete 12 trial installed.

I don't know if 32 bit version of the database is necessary but the additional software
    packages you need to install have to be 32 bit version.

What I did:

- activated HR user in 11g via SQL-Developer
    - downloaded all Zips of "Instant Client for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)"
        > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/winsoft-085727.html
        > I took "Version 11.2.0.1.0" except
                  "*Instant Client Package - Basic Lite: Smaller version of the Basic,
                   with only English error messages and Unicode, ASCII, and Western European
                   character set support Download instantclient-basiclite-win32-11.2.0.1.0.zip
                   (20,732,681 bytes)"
    - unziped them all to "instantclient_11_2"
    - created directory "C:\oracle\"
    - moved "instantclient_11_2" to "C:\oracle\"
    - followed these instructions:
        > http://www.dbatoolz.com/t/installing-oracle-instantclient-basic-and-instantclient-sqlplus-on-win32.html
      for setting system %PATH% and %TNS_ADMIN% environment variables and setting up "tnsnames.ora" file
    - content of my "tnsnames.ora" file (I didn't change oracle database parameters during installation or afterwards):
        >
        >    XE =
        >      (DESCRIPTION =
        >        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
        >        (LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
        >        (CONNECT_DATA =
        >          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
        >          (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
        >          (FAILOVER_MODE =
        >            (TYPE = SELECT)
        >            (METHOD = BASIC)
        >            (RETRIES = 180)
        >            (DELAY = 5)
        >          )
        >        )
        >      )
    - moved "tnsnames.ora" file to "C:\oracle\instantclient_11_2\"

At this point I tried creating a database table checkpoint in TestComplete but it still failed.
    But what worked now was establishing a test connection to my database inside the "Create Database Table Checkpoint" dialogue.

Next steps:
    - downloaded "ODAC 11.2 Release 2 and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio (11.2.0.1.2)" - should be 32 bit
        > from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html
    - inside the install dialogue I used the client version (not server)
    - at the end of the install procedure don't forget to run the SQL scripts the installer mentions
        > for me these where located in: "D:\app\win\product\11.2.0\client_1\ASP.NET\SQL\"
          script which runs all other necessary scripts: "InstallAllOracleASPNETProviders.sql"
    - I used sqlplus for executing the script
        > open a command prompt
        > change directory to where the SQL scripts are located (probaply something like ".....\app\win\product\11.2.0\client_1\ASP.NET\SQL\"
        > type: sqlplus sys/PASSWORD@XE as sysdba
        > PASSWORD is your sysdba password; XE is the sid or service_name of the database - configured in the "tnsnames.ora" file
        > now enter: @InstallAllOracleASPNETProviders.sql
        > if it's not working enter the full path to the script,
          like: "C:\app\USER\product\11.2.0\client_1\ASP.NET\SQL\InstallAllOracleASPNETProviders.sql"

Now it worked for me. If you create a database checkpoint there should be more options now under "Provider" (second page of the dialogue -> Line which says "Connection:" -> 3 dotted button alligned to the right).

There should be "Oracle Provider for OLE DB". This one works for me.