Forum Discussion

epv
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

exe file run as Admin monopolizes screen, so I can't record click on Yes

Hi,

I'm new to TestComplete, so please bear with me :) I want to automate installation of a application, so i manually added the operation "Run TestedApp" as the first action in a KeywordTest which launches the setup.exe. My gameplan is to run this operation and then record the rest of the installation actions. Running the setup.exe file requires elevated rights and Windows prompts me for accepting by clicking Yes in the User Account Control dialog. However, this dialog monopolizes the screen and i can't start TC in recording mode and record the click on Yes when this dialog is displayed.

I'm now thinking along the lines of using a small script that fires a click on the Yes button, but i don't know how to do this, and i don't know how to work out the name and other attributes of the Yes button when i can't  activate the UI Spy in TC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Erik

• Hi !

Can't you set the account control to the lowest level on the machine that executes tests ?

You won't have the confirmation for the elevated rights

4 Replies

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

Hi !

Can't you set the account control to the lowest level on the machine that executes tests ?

You won't have the confirmation for the elevated rights

epv
    Occasional Contributor

Absolutely!!! Thanks

karkadil
      Valued Contributor

Just a note: in general you can't automated actions with UAC windows, as well as login window, for instance. This is not a TestComplete problem, but OS security feature.

epv
        Occasional Contributor

Good to know, thanks. Actually i sort of experienced that, when i for starters sat UAC to second lowest. This made the UAC dialog not accopy the entire screen, but TC could not pick up the click on Yes. I then sat the UAC to the lowest, which simply lauches the setup file.