Forum Discussion

GradyJr
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

dblclick method not working when running tests via Network Suite

I have recorded several TestComplete tests for our desktop application. Anytime I playback a test using the format of a command line prompt that directly calls the project suite (as shown below), it works great 

start "<title>" /wait "C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 14\x64\Bin\TestComplete.exe" "<project file path>.pjs" /r /p:<project name> /exit /SilentMode

As I mentioned in another recent post I made, however, we are starting to set things up so that a master workstation parcels out the tests to slaves and so now i'm using this format of the command line prompt

start "<title>" /wait "C:\Program Files (x86)\SmartBear\TestComplete 14\x64\Bin\TestComplete.exe" "<project file path>.pjs" /r /p:<project name> /t:"NetworkSuite|Jobs|Job1|Task1" /exit /SilentMode. 

Task1 points to the exact same project name used in the former example. Now, while most of the steps in the test run fine, anything step that was recorded using the DblClick method (to double click on and select a tab or table entry) fails. For some situations where the double click action isn't 100% necessary I might be able to get away with changing the DblClick method to the Clicktab("tabname") as that format doesn't seem to have an issue. For example, this works to select something on the screen:

Call Aliases.MyProduct.HwndSource_AppWindow.AppWindow.tcBottom.ClickTab("DocType")

but this way would fail using the Mapped Name of the tab:

Call Aliases.MyProduct.HwndSource_AppWindow.AppWindow.tcBottom.ti_doctype.DblClick(90, 15)

and would put this error in the log:

“There was an attempt to perform an action at point (90, 15) which is transparent or out of the window bounds.”

There are other places in my application that absolutely have to be double clicked and I don't know how I going to get around this issue for those spots. 

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of behavior in TestComplete/TestExecute?

11 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

Rather than the double click being the problem, I would look at the two examples you gave and the error message.   

The difference in your two examples is that in the first one you are using an object name and the second one you are using coordinates.  The error message is telling you that TC can't find the coordinates.

You can try to solve the issue with not finding the coordinates, but you'd be much better off if you don't use the coordinates and use the object name instead.  As you can see, the coordinates are not reliable, and they will result in your tests not being as portable as you need.  Screens are different and test systems are different, so the coordinates will likely not be consistent, where the object name will remain the same throughout.  

GradyJr
      Contributor

i have no problem with using the name, however, intellisense did not seem to offer a version of the double click method that allowed using a name. Only the ClickTab method which imitates a single click. There are certain spots where the double click action is an imperative. I will continue to research, try different things, see what i can come up with and report back. Any help is welcome. Thanks!