Forum Discussion

lleppert
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

WordDocs.compare throw error on failure

Hello,

I am using the WordDocs script extension to compare two word documents and it is working great. However, when the files do not match it throws a warning, and I need it to log an error instead. Anybody know how to do this? Here is my current code:

Sub CompareWordDocs(file1, file2)
      Call WordDocs.Compare(file1, file2, 2)
End Sub

Thanks!

• Internally in the script extension, the code executed is the Files.Compare method.  A lot of the extension does the heavy lifting of manipulating the word documents in order to cleanly execute Files.Compare.  Files.Compare by default returns a warning message whenever the two files do not match. The script extension uses that default:

var tempResult = Files.Compare(fullName1, fullName2);

So, the extension will always log a warning.  However, the extensions compare method returns a boolean so that WordDocs.Compare returns true if the files match or false if they do not:

return tempResult && picEquals; 

What you can do is wrap your code with some if/then logic... something like this (untested):

Dim CompareResult
          CompareResult = Call WordDocs.Compare(file1, file2, 2)
          if !CompareResult
               Log.Error("The files are different")
    End Sub

I'm not a very good VBScript coder so I'm sure my syntax above needs work but hopefully you get the idea.

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Internally in the script extension, the code executed is the Files.Compare method.  A lot of the extension does the heavy lifting of manipulating the word documents in order to cleanly execute Files.Compare.  Files.Compare by default returns a warning message whenever the two files do not match. The script extension uses that default:

var tempResult = Files.Compare(fullName1, fullName2);

So, the extension will always log a warning.  However, the extensions compare method returns a boolean so that WordDocs.Compare returns true if the files match or false if they do not:

return tempResult && picEquals; 

What you can do is wrap your code with some if/then logic... something like this (untested):

Dim CompareResult
          CompareResult = Call WordDocs.Compare(file1, file2, 2)
          if !CompareResult
               Log.Error("The files are different")
    End Sub

I'm not a very good VBScript coder so I'm sure my syntax above needs work but hopefully you get the idea.

lleppert
      Contributor

That worked! Thanks so much. Here is the syntax if anybody else needs it:

Dim CompareResult
           CompareResult = WordDocs.Compare(file1, file2, 1)

If CompareResult = "True" then

Log.Message("File " & file2 & " matches.")
           Else
                Log.Error("File " & file2 & " has changed.")       
           End If

End Sub

shilpawdhw
        Occasional Contributor

Hi Can anyone help me

I executed above script . I am getting an error Object require wordDocs. I am using test complete 12