Forum Discussion

MulgraveTester
Frequent Contributor
6 years ago

Why does "Stopping..." take so long?

During the day, when I run a test and it crashes I address the crash and the IDE reports "Stopping..." while it builds the log file.

When I run a script over night and it crashes the IDE is obviously idle until I come in in the morning to halt execution. The "Stopping..." message can take 30 minutes or more to go away.

What causes the delay during "Stopping..." and why is it proportional to the amount of time that the IDE has been idle after a crash?

4 Replies

helmer
      Contributor

Have you tried with TC12. It performs better at debugging.

MulgraveTester
      Frequent Contributor

Hi Marsha,

I didn't see how that link was relevant.

I had to kill TestComplete in the Task manager after it hadn't stopped after 45 minutes.

I have my "Save log every" set to 2 minutes. So there should only ever be 2 minutes worth of log to process before stopping.

The script crashed at 1:02:23 a.m. because the sys.Desktop.activeWindow was not identified.

I stopped the code at 7:34:25 a.m.

At 8:15 a.m. TestComplete was still "Stopping..." with no way to force it to stop other than kill TestComplete

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

It was relevant if you have Visualizer turned on and are saving all those screenshots.  Since I have no idea what your TestComplete settings are,  I mentioned the biggest offender first.

When you run the test at night, does the machine go to sleep or is it still active when you come in?