Forum Discussion

nn
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago

Text capture and input the text during playback.

Test Complete during recording does not capture the text typed into my desktop application. I am new to the tool, I have seen it capture the text a week ago but not anymore. 

Also since I do not see the text in the Value field, I do not see that value entered during playback.

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What is the application platform? What code is it written in? Does it record anything, at least the "Keys" method and the parameter is blank? 

You can edit the recording after the fact and fill in the value fields manually.  In fact, this is a best practice.  It is generally not a good idea to rely, purely, on what is recorded.  It's a good way to start creating a test case, but manual edits, updates, etc., are pretty much required in order to make sure a test case is robust and stable.  

While this does not address the problem with the text not recording, there is a sufficient work around until we get more information about what you're attempting to test.

nn
      Occasional Contributor

The application is in .net C# . It does not record the "Keys" method for that one step.

Example: 1. Clicking on a text box is recorded.

2. Entering the first name in the text field is not recorded.

TextBoxMaskBox Click ... Clicks the 'TextBoxMaskBox' object.(RECORDED)

searchFirstname SetText "sam" Enters text in the text editor.(DOES NOT RECORD)

i manually added the 'searchFirstname' step and now the test runs. No changes made and every other time the same test that passed does fail. Why should it fail every other time? Does TestComplete need time before the next run? Also why is it missing the recording of a step?