Forum Discussion

Talby
New Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Testing WinRT applications - GUI controls cannot be identified individually

Hello,

I'd like to test an app (Windows Store) which is created in C++ using WinRT framework.

The problem is: When recording a test, no GUI element is detected at all; only the main window of the tested app is detected! No button, no dialog and no edit control is detected. When I have a look at the script recorded, I can see that all mouse clicks and keys pressed are related to the main window.

The behavior is the same when using Object Spy - no GUI controls are detected.

In UI Automation settings, no classes are present. May be this is a hint.

How can I overcome this problem?

What I did so far:
+ reading the 'Testing Windows Store applications' documentation, entirely
+ make sure that Testing Project is configured to support Windows Store Apps (EnableLUA in registry, enable UI Automation Support in settings
+ The Windows Store App has been added to Tested Apps using the wizard, as indicated in the documentation.

+ I checked that the WndClass of the entire window property is listed in the properties of Open Applications -> UI Automation

+ 'Enable support for Windows Store application testing' option is enabled in the TestComplete Tools -> Options -> Engines -> General menu.

Is there anyone familiar with WinRT app testing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Helmut

Talby
    4 years ago

Hi,

I found a solution a: I have to set Open Applications->Process Filter->Process Filter Mode to 'Use all processes' instead of 'Use only tested applications'. I was wondering why this is essential, because I added the 'app under test' regularly, as described in the documentation, and expected it to work. Nevertheless, we can set this issue to 'solved' now.

7 Replies

BenoitB
    Community Hero
    seems you have done all the settings correctly. Did you introspect well the win calc app which is a basic win RT app ?
      Talby
      New Contributor

Good point. Testing the Windows Calc app leads to the same result - no internal GUI controls are identified. This is reason enough for me to check all requirements of testing Windows Store Applications again - but all of them match. Is there anything else to fulfill, perhaps a particular setting inside the Visual Studio project which is missing? Or do we need a special TC module or license?

BenoitB
        Community Hero

As far as i know, no need of a special module, you have the desktop module of course ?

Perhaps time to go to Support team i think.