cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing Delphi app without relying on Debug Build

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Testing Delphi app without relying on Debug Build

Just want to know if there’s a way to run our automated scripts without relying on the debug version of our app written in Delphi.

We’re aware that some of the debug attributes are not accessible under a normal build.

We are trying to automatically run our scripts every time there’s a build in Trunk and Production, but builds under these repos are not in debug mode.

Thank you for your ideas. 

3 REPLIES
Community Hero

Re: Testing Delphi app without relying on Debug Build

The easy answer to your question is: yes, you can run your automated scripts without needing a debug version.  But that comes with a caveat... if you develop your tests on a debug version, you MAY be using public, private and/or protected properties of objects.  If you then try to run those tests on a non-debug version, they will fail because they will be dependant upon those properties.

Recommendation: If you want to be able to run your tests on a non-debug version, you need to develop your tests against a non-debug version to avoide these potential problems.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

I’ll be talking about “Hidden Treasures – TestComplete Script Extensions” at #SBConnect in October! Who’s joining me? Click here for tickets
Extensions available
Super Contributor

hi @automateable

we never use debug info in our tests (delphi apps), even if test construction is less simplier.

we have to deal with this constraint, because a test made upon apps that comes with the debug info file or compiled with debug info may behave differently than your production and trunk release.

Community Hero

Hi,

This may depend on the specific of your given application, but in my experience we had a release and debug builds of the application and substituted release version installed by installer with its complimentary debug one on the test machine. No problem was encountered during several years.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Watch a new Video
Top Kudoed Authors