Forum Discussion

Zach_Aars
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

TestComplete command argument line

Hello,

I have a somewhat simple question that I am not too sure I understand fully.

The current situation:

I will be running an automated TestComplete project and its tests on a VM with the tested app installed.

I plan to use ' .bat ' (or similar) to initiate the call and automate the tests being run from TestComplete.

The question:

Is it better to use an extension with the TestComplete command line argument [file_name ] in TestComplete.exe [file_name /run...] or is it even necessary for the command to work if there is only one project?

For Example:

rem Without Extinsion
TestComplete.exe "TestComplete Project" /run...

or

rem With Extinsion
TestComplete.exe "TestComplete Project.pjs" /run...

•  I believe it requires the extension, even if not, I would think it would be better practice to include it.

Marsha_R
    6 years ago

Unless, of course, the parser adds the .pjs automatically.  Then you will have projectname.pjs.pjs and that won't work at all.

As I quoted above, the documentation says to use what's in the project explorer.  Many users won't know that it's a .pjs file.  It would make sense to not have to include it.

7 Replies

Zach_Aars
      New Contributor

I see thank you Marsha!

All the documentation said was:

file_name
          Launches TestComplete and loads the specified project (.mds file) or project suite (.pjs) into it.

Later is gives examples with the extension,

These:

TestComplete.exe "C:\My Projects\MySuite.pjs" /r...

However, I wasn't sure if that is what I needed if I ran it from the root folder.

-

So I was wondering if I could exclude it, I should use one over the other, or I should just use the ".pjs" extension.

cunderw
    Community Hero

I believe it requires the extension, even if not, I would think it would be better practice to include it.

Zach_Aars
      New Contributor

Great!

Thank you Carson for your fast and very helpful solution and tip on good practices!

Zach

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

Unless, of course, the parser adds the .pjs automatically.  Then you will have projectname.pjs.pjs and that won't work at all.

As I quoted above, the documentation says to use what's in the project explorer.  Many users won't know that it's a .pjs file.  It would make sense to not have to include it.